Foreground Render? Background Render?

I'm been using VW2013 for almost two years and I just can't figure out what the "background" and "foreground" render is for in the Object Palette. I don't have anything in my model that fits that description as far as VW is concerned. I also would like to add a "sketch" look to the hidden line renderings, but that in buried in the menus of each Xground rather than a separate button as it should be. Can anyone help me out? Thanks.

MHBrown

To add...every time I try to add a "sketch" to either the foreground or background it creates the sketch look, but it changes the rendering to wireframe. This is true even if I have selected Hidden Line in either foreground or background, as soon as I select "sketch" it changes the rendering to a "sketched" wireframe. Very frustrating and WAY more complicated than it needs to be. I need two buttons: Rendering and Sketch mode. This new system makes no sense (because there is no "foreground" or "background" in my drawing) and makes me long for the old Doodle days.

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Foreground is the rendering mode that will be placed in front of the background mode, if you wanted two different rendering modes, like Hidden Line in front of Renderworks.

In your case, you would only use Background Render, with None selected for foreground render. Setting the background render to sketch should just show sketch, not the wireframe as well, make sure you dont have multiple viewports stacked.