Defaults for layer options?

Is there a way to set what you want the default layer option to be? That is, to tell Vectorworks that I always want the layer option to default to Show/Snap Others?

I have a file (it was originally started in Vectorworks 2010 and then was upgraded to Vectorworks 2015) that seems to have the default set to Show/Snap/Modify Others. Every time I go into the Design Layer, Layer Options is set to Show/Snap/Modify. If I change it to Show/Snap and return to the Viewport, the next time I go into the Design Layer it is set to Show/Snap/Modify again! I pretty much never want to use Show/Snap/Modify as my Layer Option, and I would love to not keep having to change it every time I got to the Design Layer.

Thanks for the help!

While we are on the subject … there are several tools or menu items that we are frustrated with for the same reason. "I pretty much never want to use …"

In past history, there was an application called Claris CAD. If memory serves me well, one could select settings with the "Option" key, and that became the default.

As it stands there are some things that require several "clicks" every time as the settings are what "I pretty much never want to use …"

Peter

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee
Is there a way to set what you want the default layer option to be? That is, to tell Vectorworks that I always want the layer option to default to Show/Snap Others?

This is done by setting the layer options the way you want, then saving that document as a template. Then, any time you create a new document, it will have that setting.

Now, what you are describing in your initial post should not occur. Are you simply selecting the layer to travel back to it from the sheet layer? Or are you using a saved view to return to the design layer?

This is done by setting the layer options the way you want, then saving that document as a template. Then, any time you create a new document, it will have that setting.

So, the layer options by default are set to a certain thing? Is it possible to update this in existing documents, or only for new ones?

Now, what you are describing in your initial post should not occur. Are you simply selecting the layer to travel back to it from the sheet layer? Or are you using a saved view to return to the design layer?

I am entering the design layer via double-clicking on a viewport. Once I am in the design layer, I change the layer option from what starts as (Show/Snap/Modify) to what I want (Show/Snap). Then I click the 'return to viewport' button in the top right of the screen. When I enter the same design layer via double-clicking on the same viewport, the layer option has reset to what it was previously (Show/Snap/Modify). This only seems to be true in some files, so I assume they somehow have a different default set.

Edited by Aviva Galaski
  • Vectorworks, Inc Employee

So, the layer options by default are set to a certain thing? Is it possible to update this in existing documents, or only for new ones?

Its SUPPOSED to keep whatever you set it to manually afterwards as well, it isn't supposed to revert back to what it was before as you are currently seeing. Does it happen in any documents that were created new in 2015? or were those files converted from older VWX fies originally?

I've mostly been working in files that were converted from 2010, so that is where I've observed it. However, I tried opening a new 2015 blank document, and while I was messing with that I think I've found a clue/answer.

When I followed the steps before, entering the Design Layer through a viewport and exiting through 'Return to Viewport', any setting that I changed was lost. However, if I exit through choosing a Sheet Layer through the Active Layer dropdown, INSTEAD of clicking 'Return to Viewport' it saves the changed layer option setting.

Not sure why that might be.