Stablity Issues w/ VW 2015 SP2

I've had major stability issues since updating to VW 2015 SP2. VW seems to crash for no apparent reason. There is no pattern to when it crashes, it crashes when I am doing very different tasks. Any suggestions? Anyone know a way to go back to SP1?

-CSW

Edited by csousawy

We as a company switched to 2015 recently as well. Couple of people are complaining about this a well, rarely including me, I'll make sure to send in a report next time it does this. We usually use it locally but with C/G license type, so we borrow from server.

***EDIT***

Although I don't think it has to do with SPs. I'm on SP2 and a colleague of mine is on SP1, hers actually crash more, probably due to computer capabilities such as RAM and what not but the program overall feels leaner.

Edited by sle7en7

Files are stored on a network drive. I've had 4 crashes in the last two hours.

It might be an autosave issue. It seems to happen about when it should be autosaving. I upped the number of operations between saves and changed it from not requiring a confirmation to requiring a confirmation. It's only crashed once since then.

I just recently changed to VW 2015 at the first of the year, I didn't have as many problems w/ SP1, but it has become unbearable this last week when I upgraded to SP2. I'm really thinking of going back to VW 2014, it was much more stable.

Edited by csousawy

Two more crashes just starting this morning, then one more after 10mins or so. I will be going back to VW 2014 for now. Please let me know if you have any other solutions because I like a lot of the features of VW 2015, but the stability issue is unacceptable.

I submitted a tech support request about this last Friday with no response. I have checked with other users I know and several of them are having similar issues, others are not. Not sure what the common denominator is, seems to be an issue on Mac and PCs running Windows 7 and 8.

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

I don't see any help requests from Friday for your account, just one from just before you last post. I'll make sure tech has a closer look into whats happening in your case, but luckily we think the majority of these random crashes should be resolved in an upcoming SP.

I resubmitted before my last post since I received no response from last Friday.

When is the next SP coming? Right now my company is paying for a program that doesn't work. We have already switched to another program for some of our projects and this stability issue is not helping my case to continue using VW.

Not sure whats happening with your particular setup, so far we haven't been able to replicate ALL of the various saving issues here, it seems to be network specific in most cases.

No specific dates on the SP, they can change drastically up to the last minute, so they aren't announced until they are live.

Different category but an issue as well

What seems to always crash is to try to change material assignments for a class

in class manager when:

You have 2 files open and ressource browser is set to show ressources of the

inactive file, instead of show "always active document".

Maybe only if you try to select a render texture, which is existing in both files.

but luckily we think the majority of these random crashes should be resolved in an upcoming SP.

hi, jim.

after experiencing several random crashes this morning--and other times as well--i came onto the forum looking for such a thread.

are you saying that this is common in 2015 sp2, and that i should just be patient? or should i start again sending all of the crash logs to tech support? problem with that is that it is time consuming and they often can't replicate the crashing.

how long will be before the next sp, and hopefully these fixes, be available?

cheers,

ray

I have an exact date, which I can not yet share, but the next service pack which among other things looks to address the majority of the random crashing on file save/autosaves and saving over networks should be out before the end of March.

• 2 weeks later...

Let's hope the crashes are resolved. I don't have a network and VW2015 SP2 crashes randomly all the time for me. The longest period I can work is about 10 minutes. One time the only thing I did after loading a file is hit the down arrow key to scroll the page down - CRASH.

I just started a project from scratch in it so the file is small and has no detail yet. It has crashed when I tried to insert columns, stretch a dimension line, modify a dimension length, and just about whenever it darn well pleases.

I have had to save after about every two moves to be safe. Any more and I risk losing work.

This is ridiculous.

There are some other frustrating things going on but I will be happy if we can just get the thing stabilized first.

Update to my last post:

NVIDIA just put out an update to my card a few days ago. Since downloading it, crashes have disappeared so far.

It is good I did not try switching to VW2015 until now or I would have wasted a lot of time when it was just the video driver.

Relief!

I updated to SP3 today, hoping against all odds that it would solve my constant crashing issues. 2015 has been filled with compatibility issues on my Mac. After today's upgrade, when trying to select another Renderworks texture to apply to a video screen object, it crashes every single time, forcing a total reboot of the computer. It renders my screen totally unintelligible to the point that a hard reset is the only option.

It's my fault that I upgraded my OS to 10.10.x too soon but this has been the worst release I've had in 15 years.

I also found out talking to Paxar, that I have a limited number of installs on my license, (which is 5) meaning I have to choose whether to re-install a clean version to try to solve issues, and lose an install option for another machine.

Not happy right now, because all work has stopped.

So here's an update from my experience. What seems to make it crash is using or modifying imported images that are greater than about 500KB in size. I was using an imported image as a RenderWorks texture that was a 1.2Mb JPG file. I could turn it into the resource fine, but when I attempted to apply it to an object, it would crash.

Downsizing the source image to about 225KB and then re-importing it as a RenderWorks texture allowed me to use it with no crashing.

I have the same problem working with imported PDF files. Frequent and totally unpredictable crashes.

So, in my experience, VectorWorks has a bug when attempting to use

or modify resources or imported images greater than a certain size.

Does anyone else have the same experiences?

• Administrator
I

I also found out talking to Paxar, that I have a limited number of installs on my license, (which is 5) meaning I have to choose whether to re-install a clean version to try to solve issues, and lose an install option for another machine.

If your license type is E-series, this information is incorrect you can reinstall VW as many times as you need in the same computer and you will not incurred in any use of your activations. I hope this is clear.

as far as the other issue we will try to replicate and submit the issue to Engineering. Thank you for your report.

So here's an update from my experience. What seems to make it crash is using or modifying imported images that are greater than about 500KB in size. I was using an imported image as a RenderWorks texture that was a 1.2Mb JPG file. I could turn it into the resource fine, but when I attempted to apply it to an object, it would crash.

Downsizing the source image to about 225KB and then re-importing it as a RenderWorks texture allowed me to use it with no crashing.

I have the same problem working with imported PDF files. Frequent and totally unpredictable crashes.

So, in my experience, VectorWorks has a bug when attempting to use

or modify resources or imported images greater than a certain size.

Does anyone else have the same experiences?

I just did a test with a 4.3 MB image file. I was able to create a Renderworks Texture and then apply it to an object without any issues. It is possible, the image file size is not the issue. It may be something else about the image that is causing the crash.

If possible, can you send in a copy of the image file you imported? Please send the file to tech@vectorworks.net. Just put Attn: Mike in the subject. I'll take a look at it as soon as it comes in.