Instrument Colour finesse

markdd

Question

Is it possible to finesse the "Modify Instrument Color" command. Currently I have several line weights in my symbols which I would like to keep. When I modify a lighting instruments colour all the line weights take on the same weight as the class the instrument is assigned to. This is different from the modify by color field which retains the originally assigned line weights within the symbol. This inconsistency would suggest that this is easily possible. Is this inconsistency intentional and if so what am I missing?

Many thanks

Mark

4 answers to this question

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

It is not an inconsistency. Once you select to use the instrument color all attributes are controlled by the attribute platelet just as if you are assigning attributes to basic geometry. Line weight, pen, fill etc. will all follow the attributes palette settings. The only way to customize this behavior is to use classes to selectively control which class follows the attributes palette.

Renewing this thread - I'm having this same problem. How can I maintain multiple line weights and styles within symbols while using "Modify Instrument Color" - specifically with color set by Lighting Instrument? What I want to do is to add one symbol (with multiple line weights) into different classes and have them automatically take on the class fill color, but NOT change the line weight. Even if I have the instrument symbol line weights assigned to different classes, the "Modify Instrument Color" option overrides them. VW Designer 2017 SP4

On 03/03/2015 at 8:51 PM, klinzey said:

The only way to customize this behavior is to use classes to selectively control which class follows the attributes palette.

Its good that this thread has been revived. It still has never been fixed.

Kevin, @klinzey could you show me what you mean and why I am mistaken. It seems to me that what makes it inconsistent is that with other symbol instances, say an embedded Title Block Symbol within a Sheet Border, if you un-check the By Class setting in the attributes Palette, then an object within a title block keeps that property rather than following the overall setting for the class of the Sheet Border. That is the inconsistency and it would be great if it could follow that.

Many thanks

The thing that I found so confusing and finally figured out is that the class assignment set in Spotlight's Lighting Device > Modify Instrument Color Set By > Lighting Instrument > choose class here, acts only as a proxy or alias, pointing to the class that the symbol is actually in. But that action requires then that all other geometry is also in their own classes within a symbol. This means that in order for this feature to work, you have to edit every single symbol's 2d geometry with new class assignments - no symbol libraries work without doing so as far as I can tell...

Part of the problem that I was having is that you cannot separate "use at creation" by line weight and fill. Why can you not make a class that has a fill "use at creation" but a line weight without...