Square line ends

In VW 2015, apparently with the Quartz Imaging option removed, all lines have round ends. For most drafting, that is preferred, but for thick lines square ends are more appropriate. Back in the day of ruby tipped radiograph pens and mylar, we used to run the lines long and erase the ends for the crisp square look. Is there any way in VW 2015 to get square line ends?

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

I have yet to find a way around this, currently on Windows, lines ALWAYS have square ends, regardless of the GDI+ setting (sort of the equivalent to Quartz Imaging on Macs).

I've put in to have this be user controllable again, but preferably in a manner not tied to the other things that Quartz Imaging would also enable/disable.

Uh...

1. In the hatch example given, square ends would look just as bad (ragged) as the round ends.

2. For the OP, for the occasional thick lines desired with square ends, you can use the double line tool to make polygons, 0 thickness line wt., and fill them. Also lets you edit the outlines (say, when the lines don't meet at a right angled corner - square ends would look worse than round ends).

Having the outside boundries of lines at corner meet at a point is something I thought Postscript could do.

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee
Uh...

1. In the hatch example given, square ends would look just as bad (ragged) as the round ends.

Sorry I didn't clarify, in the case I noted that the fill lines/geometry should never pass outside the boundaries of the object they are filling. Or are there situations where a user would want this?

• 7 years later...
On 2/27/2015 at 7:44 AM, PVA - Admin said:

I have yet to find a way around this, currently on Windows, lines ALWAYS have square ends, regardless of the GDI+ setting (sort of the equivalent to Quartz Imaging on Macs).

I've put in to have this be user controllable again, but preferably in a manner not tied to the other things that Quartz Imaging would also enable/disable.

Has this changed for VW for Windows?  I'm currently running VW 2018 on Windows 10 Pro and am still struggling to find a way to have square ends / corners for lines / polygons - if there's a setting that will make that happen, I'd love to know how - thanks!