Wall worksheet data

It is possible. You can format it either as a database or a bunch of spreadsheet cells.

It's not perfect. Maybe someone could check out worksheet 3 under the column "Why doesn't this work?" and answer the implied question.

I'll attach an example using a bunch of spreadsheet cell calls. To use it, enter the name of a wall type into the cell A2 and the worksheet will take care of the rest.

There must be a way to if/then/else the division by zero error notices, but I couldn't make it work in a couple minutes. Maybe someone will have an answer for that as well.

hth

mk

I just took a look and I have a guess as to what is going on.

My guess is that the ComponentArea function is returning a string not a number. Once it is written into a cell (stored as a string) and then read back out, the divisor code is smart enough to convert it to a number. When it is used in a formula directly, then it is still a string and is numerically a zero.

Any bets?

Hi Pat!

Interesting. I just tried slapping a VALUE() call in front of everything. No difference.

Then I tried switching the document units to more easy to understand mm and meters. I switched the cell formatting to decimal, 3 places.

I see your thinking, that it might be taking a string to have a value of 0. But I'm getting different non zero results between dividing two cell values and dividing the calls that went into those cells.

Is it possible that when a volume is called to a cell it does the math for cubing and when an area is called to a cell is does the math to take squaring into account.

But when a those same calls are used together in the same cell it can't do the math on each call separately?

I'm not expressing the issue correctly yet.

Maybe sleep and caffeine will help in the morning…

mk

I thank you everybody for the examples and the suggestions: I'm going to try your way. It doesn't fit exactly with my expectation but it could work. The best would be to have the possibility to retrieve and use, in the worksheet, the data input of the component and its layers used in the setting window of the wall.

Thank you again.

Pierluigi Feltri

I agree!

The data you want is in the drawing! It shouldn't require mathematical detective work to get at it.

Perhaps there is a hidden record format for wall types. If not there should be. And then it should be less hidden.

Jim, here's another wish list item: All data should have a way to present itself to worksheets.

mk

Here's my current suspicion:

When calling the area or volume to a cell it's doing the calculation in one unit of measure. For argument, say it calculates area and volume in square and cubic feet. When those values are placed into a cell they are placed in document units.

But when the calculation happens within the cell doing the calling of both functions, the switching to document units happens after the division. So the volume is off by a factor of 1728 and the area is off by a factor of 144.

Except I tried those values and they don't work. But it gets closer.

Any other ideas?

mk