Stair Crash

Sorry to be a pessimist, but the stair tool continues to be a crashmatic poorly written piece of code. I'm having issues again (takes 10-15 seconds to open the custom stair). Will also crash randomly.

Unfortunately the more the file crashes, the more corrupted the backup files become, the less stable the file. Its frankly ridiculous. NNA needs to include some sort of diagnostic/repair routine with the program so we can at least see what is the broken component de jour.

People have been screaming for years to replace the lipstick on a pig excuse for a stair interface that was forced on us 7 versions ago. We have two stair modules and there ought to be one.

Again, I would trade stability for bling, bells and whistles and pay more for it, if there were an option.

Unfortunately the more the file crashes, the more corrupted the backup files become, the less stable the file. Its frankly ridiculous. NNA needs to include some sort of diagnostic/repair routine with the program so we can at least see what is the broken component de jour.

+1

no problem with the file on my system

WTH

It works again here too with that clean file !?

I did not restart my Mac Pro since but I think a complete App crash counts as an App restart - but it works now.

Unfortunately I tried the Stair in my working file and it immediately crashed again after View Change.

I copied my whole geometry in a blank file.

Of course it crashed with the stair visible but I realized it can crash also with

stair invisible but a PDF as a drawing aid (snap on) visible.

As I see rescuing data by importing everything possible into a new drawing

means loss off :

- folder structure for symbols

- all view ports

- all references and referenced geometry

- stories

- all saved views

And does not solve the problem.

It works for changing View sometimes. But it crashes when I try to edit the Stair.

(BTW All Wireframe only)

For me there has to be a problem with Stair tool.

I invite everybody to play a little with that stair and change some settings.

I realized some strange things when creating that stair :

- previews where not working

- I set stringer offsets top an bottom. When changing top stringer offset, bottom

stringer offset changed to that value too.

And it seems to slow down OS X screen windows graphics before crashing.

(F.e. when changing Spaces)

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee
Sorry to be a pessimist, but the stair tool continues to be a crashmatic poorly written piece of code. I'm having issues again (takes 10-15 seconds to open the custom stair). Will also crash randomly.

People have been screaming for years to replace the lipstick on a pig excuse for a stair interface that was forced on us 7 versions ago. We have two stair modules and there ought to be one.

Again, I would trade stability for bling, bells and whistles and pay more for it, if there were an option.

You won't see me defending the Stair or Custom Stair Tool. We aren't friends, we're barely on speaking terms.

The Stair tool needs ALL the functionality that was provided by the older Custom Stair (Formerly known as Stair) and a better UI.

Have many of you worked with the Curtain Wall tool? Would a more manual interface like that where you can modify steps and various 2d/3d stair components directly be more useful?

The stair sketch based approach used by other CAD program/s is the direction I would like to see the stair tool go.

Could you link me to an example image/vid? I'll take a look.

Have many of you worked with the Curtain Wall tool? Would a more manual interface like that where you can modify steps and various 2d/3d stair components directly be more useful?

I played just a little.

So far it looked very cool. Did not use it in production as I currently need full

control over created geometry in my project.

What I want from stair tool is a WYSIWYG version of the actual stair in context.

Just like editing a Symbol from a design layer. With instant feedback when editing

numerical values.

And of course I prefer these architectural setting tools to open in parts of a second

like in the videos above.

BTW

The stair repaired itself. Also I was able to delete my Ghost View Ports after deleting

some others, that weren't need anymore as I took all referenced geometry in the

working file meanwhile.

Could be that the latest and worst problems with my file came from a scaled PDF

with snapping enabled. (The sketch for that stair)

Currently my file works smooth and VW doesn't look anymore like the crash monster

as it has been for the last weeks since I have my new Mac Pro with Yosemite.

I have not had a single success when using the stair tool with 2015! It is a horrible experience to have to continually force quit the program. If I create a stair and then go to the geometry window, I can not close out of the stair tool (I can't save nor cancel to get out of the stair tool). My only way getting out of the stair tool is to force quite the program.

I'm on a iMac 11,3 - 2.8 GHz with quad core i5 processor - ATI Radeon HD 5750 1024 MB running OS 10.9.5

I only have 8GB RAM - would that have an effect? I would think it might not be as fast, but should still work!

Oh, and I can't get the stair tool to work on my Macbook Pro either, which runs Yosemiti. Same issues.

Edited by ydatal