Tape Measure tool - send to clipboard

Mike Wright

Question

14 answers to this question

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

If they pick it to be added, yes. The wishlist is... well it's extremely huge. Way more requests than are seen on the community board are listed there. All the beta tester, distributor, community board and internal wishlist items go into one list.

I'm pushing for a user-visible wishlist system as well as some sort of voting mechanic to help make new feature selection more interactive and transparent.

• Like 2
On 19.2.2015 at 0:13 PM, Mike Wright said:

just a suggestion for a workflow improvement to the Tape Measure tool. It would be great if the L or TL values could be sent to the clipboard to be used in the OIP. It would save a lot of desk blotter paper!

totally agree! I just wanted to suggest the same thing and then found this thread.

I use the G key to measure with and the way you can copy the dimension is to click then go hover over another point and hit tab over to the one you wnat and highlight then Ctrl+C then paste to where you want. It will past into another block like a line distance or whatever.

HTH

Edited by Alan Woodwell
  • Like 1

On 12.1.2017 at 1:23 PM, Alan Woodwell said:

I use the G key to measure with and the way you can copy the dimension is to click then go hover over another point and hit tab over to the one you wnat and highlight then Ctrl+C then paste to where you want. It will past into another block like a line distance or whatever.

HTH

Thanks Alan. I needed some time to get your G-key method. Very handy, works perfect for my needs! Great (far better!) alternative to the tape measure which I used for single (not cumulative) distances mostly anyhow. I was unaware until now that you can copy values from the floating data bar with ctrl-C when the desired value is selected with TAB. The problem with the tape measure tool is that you can't get inside the floating data bar by hitting TAB. So it would be the actual improvement to make this possible. Then we could choose between single and cumulative distance to copy to clipboard. At the moment I think we have to state that the tape measure tool is in the developement stage of a mechanical typewriter or older since we have to write down measurments on physical paper... Hope this feature is coming soon. In the meanwhile I will use Alans super-G-key.

I suggest Alans method of copying single distance measurments to the clipboard to be implemented in Vectorworks help in the tape measure section as an alternative.

To illustrate Alans method here a screenshot:

alans super-G-measuring method.png

Edited by MarcU
  • Like 1