Libraries on a Network

I'd like to put my Libraries on a network drive and have Vectorworks access the library from there (instead of the default location on my computer), As well as a second workstation that way when I'm adding, removing or updating resources, I'm doing it at the network location and the two workstations automatically have access to the "revised/updated" resources with out doing extra copying and pasting.

Is there a way to change/edit this default location?

Edited by Markvl
  • Vectorworks, Inc Employee

You can add libraries to the resource browser from any location, you don't have to put new libraries in the Library folder directly if you don't want to.

In the resource browser, under "Add New Favorite Files" you can select files from anywhere. If you create or download libraries and then place them somewhere else like an external drive, you can navigate there and add them for later use.

I see that. But what about items that can be accessed by dialog box for example hatches. I want to access what would be typical in the default location to be on the network. I've tried to do that but all I have then is a blank dialog box with nothing to select because it's not (what it appears) accessing the network location. I'm either missing something or not understanding something.

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

You can set the location of your user folder, which will include the default libraries via Tools > Options > Vectorworks Preferences > User Folders.

If you choose a new location, it will copy your current user folder there and if you then direct other installations of Vectorworks to this location, they will then get the default libraries and settings within that folder.

This CAN be done across a network, but I don't recommend it unless it is a network resource that will ALWAYS be available to you, for instance its not wise to set this up on a laptop that comes and goes as far as server access is concerned. Juggling multiple user folders can get messy quickly.

I have set a Project Folder with all the libraries.

Setting user folder to another disk was not so succesful when you use

VW on another Maschine, with f.e. different screen resolution.

So I keep my User Folder local.

Pity that the User Folder has priority over the Project Folder.

So if there is a library with same name in both paths, VW will prefer the

library in the User Folder.

So I think if the updated libraries are on the server, you have to delete

those with same name in User Folder, to get the correct libraries.

I thought I could workaround this by "deactivating default content" in

preferences to just use my libs and not care much about what VW puts

in the App Folder.

But then there were f.e. Heliodon Symbols not working, even if available

in the Project Folder.

We used to just replace the 'Library' folder name with an alias to our common Network Drive. Everybody accessed the same set of tools including the Default Content from inside various tools.

Any additions to the common library like new wall types, etc would be immediately reflected on all stations on the network.

We also tend to keep most everything in the Project Folder and make limited use of the User Folder.

However, we now have moved our entire Resource Library to DropBox and use a 'Library' folder whose content links to our DropBox folder that exists on each station but sync's through the cloud. Now, we have a similar function with immediate access to new resources just like we had before but any station that is on line anywhere including off site still gets immediate updates. Plus, if you lose web access your entire resource content is local on your computer.

I have to be careful about de-coupling from DropBox before running Service Pack updates and I have to pay attention to the nature of the update to make sure that changes made to the Resources by the Service Pack get copied to our DropBox folder.

Also, if you attempt this, see old posts of mine regarding the set up. Your 'Favorites Folder' can not be synced to DropBox. It needs to be independent for each station or VW will not function properly.

But if you have people who frequently need to work off-site then a cloud based CAD Resource solution is a must.

Joe