Developer Wiki and Function Reference Links ×

Vectorscript Problem

Cheth

Hey Guys and Gals,

I am completely fried at the moment and need your help with a vectorscript Problem.

I need a vectorscript that will select all instruments with a device type of 'Light'

Then Change the field of Symbol Name to 'Conventional'

Then Change the Rotation to '0'

And finally move all objects to a Y Value of '0'

I really appreciate any help.

In short, and without trying to sound rude, I'd rather double click a script once than have to go and change the data in the OIP every time I work on these files.

Why do you want to change ALL objects ? Are you editing some older plans ? Just to make sure that you know you can double click the object to edit the default properties before you start drawing.

in vectorscript look at the foreachobject loop. Use criteria to match all the objects you want to edit.

The other functions you need are listed in the reference, just look at the categories..

If you don't mind waiting a bit, I'm almost done with an object editor tool that lets you do such editing with a few mouseclicks.

Why not just use custom selection or Find and Modify to select them and use the OIP to change the data once they are selected? No need for a script.

Why do you want to change ALL objects ?

I appreciate your responses, however, can we assume since I am coming to the board (which I never do), that I am asking for what I need? I am having problems finding time to figure out the code to do what I am asking. I am trying to automate a process. If I need to hire a coder because I don't have the time to figure it out, then I will. I was just hoping for a quick answer to a question without the assumption that I want to do anything else but what I have asked.

Hippothamus, I appreciate your offer of the tool you are working on, and I would love to look at it, maybe to just analyze the code and see how it works.

No actually we can't assume you know what you want. Since you came to the board (which you never do) asking for free help to solve a problem that you have not defined adequately, we have to ask questions to avoid wasting our time. I know you said you would hire someone if necessary, but you are still asking for free help.

Many times people come to the board and ask for something without realizing they are trying the hard way to do something simple. In your case, you asked for a script, but didn't bother to explain WHY you want a script. What about your workflow makes this something that needs to be scripted. It would probably take at least an hour of someones time to write and test the script you are asking for. If this was a one time problem with a single file that a would take 5 minutes to do manually is not worth it. yes, we need to ask more about what you want to do.

If this is rude, then I apologize, but I think you caught me on a bad day. You comment about not wanting to be rude struck me as very rude.

If you want help make it as easy for everyone as possible and give the reason for what you are asking for, not just the desired result. To many times I have jumped to provide a solution for someone only to find out that they did not define the problem properly and that my solution did not solve their real problem. I try not to do that, hence always questions first.

Pat!

I came across your name on the boards the other day and meant to PM you as you seem to know what you are talking about. I had forgotten to do so. Anyway, no, you are right, however, I thought with as concise information I provided, that it would be okay to assume that I already knew how to do this manually.

I did ask for exactly what I wanted. I was hoping someone knew how to do it off hand and didn't have to do much work but write a few lines of code and I would be on my way.

To answer your question, this is something I do for Every show that comes across my desk, (at least 3 to 5 a day)

I can get into the details with you privately, however I'd prefer the details of the project to be on the down low. Which is the reason I asked for something quite specific without going into detail about the overall project. Let's chat privately if possible, we could talk compensation for your time as well.

Edited by Christopher Hetherington