Bending surface and extruding it to fit cylinder side

Hi,

totally new to Vectorworks (like 2 days) I am trying to build a model to 3D print. I'm almost done but want to add a protruding part to a side of a cylinder (see attached image). I have the profile of the protruding part in flat 2D but how do I go about to:

(80k image)

3d%20surface.tiff

a) get a bent version that follows the curve of the cylinder?

b) extrude the depth of the curved protrusion?

I have tried several approaches and even tried to build the whole thing using polygons and arcs but failed so far. One can not simply extend the part into the z-axis without bending it since the angles will not be orthogonal towards the cylinder surface.

Appreciate any tips you have =)

Kind regards,

Mikey

Hi (sorry, posted this in general first by mistake)

Totally new to Vectorworks (like 2 days) I am trying to build a model to 3D print. I'm almost done but want to add a protruding part to a side of a cylinder (see attached image). I have the profile of the protruding part in flat 2D but how do I go about to:

(80k image)

3d%20surface.tiff

a) get a bent version that follows the curve of the cylinder?

b) extrude the depth of the curved protrusion?

I have tried several approaches and even tried to build the whole thing using polygons and arcs but failed so far. One can not simply extend the part into the z-axis without bending it since the angles will not be orthogonal towards the cylinder surface.

Appreciate any tips you have =)

Kind regards,

Mikey

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Threads merged for cleanliness.

There are a few ways of doing it, but its true you cannot instruct Vectorworks to simply wrap a NURBS curve/poly against a face in the manner you're looking for. Would your desired end result be something like this?

[img:center]https://techboard.vectorworks.net/ubbthreads.php?ubb=download&Number=11788&filename=ring%20test2.PNG[/img]

Edited by JimW

+1 radial extrude

+1 poly radial extrude

Mike Oz has this one right. Use the Deform tool.

It's solids modeling, rather than mapping. But it works for cylinder.

A guide arc is very helpful, with arc length equal to the poly length.

And the 3d version of the poly has to be aligned over the arc midpoint.

I think the PushPull and extrudes will make a distorted shape. They extrude normal to a plane, rather than always radially.

I deformed the planar NURBS surface, then shelled it. I guess one could instead deform the extruded or shelled poly.

-B

ubbthreads.php?ubb=download&Number=11794&filename=Bend%20Setup.png

ubbthreads.php?ubb=download&Number=11795&filename=Shell%20on%20cylinder.png

Edited by Benson Shaw