Setting up Cameras

I have to say it is very unsatisfying to work with cameras and nothing works as you

would expect. Each step or setting has a lag of some seconds.

(Whole hidden Geometry in OpenGL VRAM ?)

It's just everything.

Switching back from Top View does not center the camera View on screen. You have

to deselect Cam by clicking in screen to fit crop again, this way your Cam is deselected

und you can't edit it. Also it loses Render Mode, even Perspectives set to OGL. Using

current Render Mode should switch according to Top/Pers Render Mode Settings.

Switching to Top Plan does not center View to selected Camera but to the paper space.

Editing Cam values in OIP does not update the Cam View, you have to click Activate

Camera first. Fine Tune Cam has lag too, I can't use the sliders, even I set everything

unnecessary hidden and it is really simple geometry.

Moving the Cam Target sometimes will change Cams Position.

Also I miss the Architectural Camera (Tilt Shift) to keep vertikal edges vertical.

Editing Camera Object in Top View is not very useful as long as you can't see a

Cam View at the same time.

I love the camera. Tip 1: if you want your verticals to be vertical, set the camera height and the look-to height to be the same. I usually start out with a 5ft/5ft setting... Tip 2: Once you find a view you like, either use a Saved View or Create a VP (which can be linked to the camera, or not, as you like). Either of these can be used to save the view and the render mode. I agree with you about some the rest. It could be better. But hey, just a few years ago there was no camera! We have to use the ancient (yet still effective) Set 3d View Command...

Hi Peter

I do so, but just to not have distortions. But from the Cameraman's point of view,

I really would like to look down a bit for better images. This can be done with

an Architectural Camera by shifting the lens, available in many CAD or 3D Apps.

I think I could be done maybe by using a VP and moving the crop, to look up

or down, without distortions. I think this will not work for my Screenshots.

Will try.

I thought about saved views, used them for class visibility settings only so far,

but will try. Problem with assigned Render Styles was that they switch arbitrary

when I change the active Layer.

Workflow is rendering different versions of geometry from different perspectives.

I want to see my perspective in f.e. OpenGL first, check if Layer/Class visibility

is ok, then hit render - if everything was successful - I want to save the image.

I started the thread after I realized how hard I did and how long it took to set just

6 interior perspectives.

I agree that the VW Cameras are better than no Cameras. But I used so many

software that I'm used to work with ergonomic camera workflows since 1996.

Edited by zoomer

It would be amazing if you get straight verticals even when the camera and look to heights don't match. As said above, that's currently only possible when they're the same.

Even if it's more photographically accurate to incorporate the vertical perspective, sometimes in design renderings I don't want it. For example, working in a proscenium theatre I often want the view to keep the proscenium opening rectilinear even when the camera is angled downward a bit.

There have also been times on more conceptual renderings when I wished I could artificially push the vertical perspective more.

So I suppose that a separate control for vertical perspective would be welcomed?

It should work if it is possible in any way to pull on the horizontal borders

of a View Port, just like changing the mask of a plan in a view port.

Isometric would not be an option for me, as far objects would then not appear

smaller. Isometric is just a camera lens with infinite focal length.

(Like the sun is nearly an infinity light source, all rays are parallel)

This is a tilt shift lens, at the bottom of the article you see photos of what it does :

http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/24mm-pc.htm

Either you shift it to avoid distortion of elements that would otherwise no more be

parallel to your sensor, or you tilt the lens to tilt the plane of focus.

It means you always hold the camera horizontal = no distorsion, but shift the

lens until you look up to f.e. a building.

What you always could do as a workaround is, take a larger shot and crop it

afterwards. F.e. cut the unwanted floor part of your (horizontal) photo of a church.

Edited by zoomer