VW 2015 - Disk drive or file is marked read-only

Hi

Myself and my colleagues are about to migrate over to VW 2015 from 2014, but have experienced a problem straight away. When we open a 2014 file from our file server, into 2015, and try re-save it to the server, we get this message. "The disk drive or file is marked read-only. Please unmark it and try again". I have checked the file permissions on our server, and they are all read and write for all users.

Has anyone else experienced this issue and found a solution? Or should i be contacting our IT Support company who look after our servers.

Thanks

Jonathan

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Does the same thing happen if you save it locally to the desktop?

If not, is the server actually a "server" or is it some sort of NAS that you and your coworker log into? Do you have different login credentials for it? Often it can see you as the same user and Vectorworks will think its protecting you from opening the file twice.

Hi this is also happening to me. I get the same error message, but the file does appear to save but when i then try to open this file i get thisr error message http://kbase.vectorworks.net/questions/1152/%22This+is+an+unrecognized+file.%22+Error+Message

Trying to save on local server which is a NAS which all staff access via a common username/password. Nobody else has ever opened the file or is attempting to open the file. It saves fine on my desktop.

Any ideas why this is happening?

Thanks.

Trying to save on local server which is a NAS which all staff access via a common username/password. Nobody else has ever opened the file or is attempting to open the file. It saves fine on my desktop.

Any ideas why this is happening?

Because of the users having a common username and password, in our experience this will cause the In Use error frequently.

However for normal server OSes, we have not been able to replicate the issue so far.

• 1 month later...

Hi, We had a similar issue with another program and it turned out that when an adjustment was made to the server permissions by our IT person many of our file became read only, The permissions were changed and all was ok.

Maybe with the installation of the new program the permissions changed.

Hope this helps.

Having contacted Service Select to try resolve this, it is still an issue after installing SP3.

This is extremely frustrating as we cannot use the latest version of VW, whilst paying for the Service Select Service.

If you are able to save locally, then you would still be able to use Vectorworks, you would just have to move the file to the server afterwards.

However, I suspect it is a read/write permissions issues as mentioned above. If the issue were with your install of Vectorworks directly, you would not be able to save locally either.

Having contacted Service Select to try resolve this, it is still an issue after installing SP3.

This is extremely frustrating as we cannot use the latest version of VW, whilst paying for the Service Select Service.

If you are able to save locally, then you would still be able to use Vectorworks, you would just have to move the file to the server afterwards.

However, I suspect it is a read/write permissions issues as mentioned above. If the issue were with your install of Vectorworks directly, you would not be able to save locally either.

I appreciate that is a work around, however it would mean non of our information is backed up until we transfer it to the server. If we transferred it every evening, we would have to re-save it locally just to be able to work on it. It's extremely inconvinent.

If it were a permissions issue with our server, surely we would be experiencing the same issue on Vectorworks 2014? Our IT support company have checked our server and all our files are read and write for every user.

Each case can be different unfortunately, once you get into storing files over a network it increases the variables for troubleshooting extensively. Make sure to keep working with support and get them any info they need, they will often ask for logs and diagnostics from both the client and the server. It may not be a quick resolution but the more info they can gather and errors they can reproduce, the faster it can be fixed.

• 1 month later...

I had this problem until very recently. There are two computers in the office (a win 8.1 pc and an imac retina. I also operated a Net gear NAS server.

To cur a long story short the problem seemed to fix itself after two things happened.

1. OS 10.10.3 had an incremental update

2. I had to upgrade my NAS server to a brand new Synology diskstation DO 14

Suddenly the system started working properly.

I am convinced it was an OSX system problem that was sorted in the most recent update.

I have not heard any new cases of this issue after OS X 10.10.3, however I have not been able to verify with users that were previously having the issues that it vanished right after the update.

I advise 10.10.3 strongly in any case, but if any users reading this are on it and are still getting the issue/aren't getting the issue any longer , please chime in.

• 1 month later...

I thought i would respond back on this, as our IT support company seemed to have resolved the issue.

Our anti-virus software (ESET NOD32) was scanning our server prior to us saving files. This meant (for a reason i still don't understand), that Vectorworks 2015 files wouldn't save as it thought the drive was read only.

We also have this issue in our office.

here it is related to the server system that we are running.

we use StorNext from Quantum and there seem to be many issues with Yosemite.

We are about to swap all our server storage and file system handling in the next weeks to an IBM storage solution.

Temporarily we pushed some of our projects to a synology box. But there occurs the same problem if the user is connected via AFP.

Mostly if it occurs to a file, the user has to wait about 10minutes, then the issue is gone.

This does not appear when the users are connected via SMB.

Takes a lot of time to encounter all this...

Occurs with all OS versions from 10.9.5 to 10.10.4

Edited by bjoerka
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...
On 7/9/2015 at 8:54 AM, bjoerka said:

We also have this issue in our office.

here it is related to the server system that we are running.

we use StorNext from Quantum and there seem to be many issues with Yosemite.

We are about to swap all our server storage and file system handling in the next weeks to an IBM storage solution.

Temporarily we pushed some of our projects to a synology box. But there occurs the same problem if the user is connected via AFP.

Mostly if it occurs to a file, the user has to wait about 10minutes, then the issue is gone.

This does not appear when the users are connected via SMB.

Takes a lot of time to encounter all this...

Occurs with all OS versions from 10.9.5 to 10.10.4

bjoreka,

Have had this issue for quite some time but just have recently come across your comment to the issue, particularly, connecting via SMB vs AFP - you're probably migrated over to your new storage solution,  but can you recall if SMB connection was the fix at the time?  I've just started connecting via SMB (was AFP in past), so just curious - will definitely post my results if I stop getting those "drive mared read-only" messages.

Thanks bjoerka!

Janvin,

as i remember (in the meantime we also switched to VW2016) most of the problems were gone. Sometimes with 2015 we had problems that some files have been marked as "the file is currently in use by xxx".

We got rid of that by setting the user permissions on mac from normal user to administrative user. Vectroworks has been writing some settings to locations in the system folder to which the normal user wasn´t allowed to.

After we switched to 2016 these problems also have gone.

So finally - SMB is what we are using for all workstations.