Weird new cross-hatch when printing to PDF

Nick R. Borcescu

Question

Hello,all - I have a weird problem which didn't manifest itself in previous versions: when I fill patterns (doesn't matter what colour, what pattern, or what density) and then I print to PDF on my desktop Mac, the file produced has a very pronounced square pattern overplayed onto the pattern areas. It's so bad that in most cases, the pattern itself cannot be discerned because of this cross-hatch of squares.

Mac OSX 10.10.2 Yosemite

Vectorworks 2014 SP5

32GB RAM, 2GB VRAM

Problem manifests itself both under OS X 10.10 Yosemite as well as under OS X 10.8.5 and it has the exact same issue whether it's produced on an iMac 27" or on a MacBook Pro. It also doesn't matter whether the file only has 2 shapes with a pattern, or whether the file is a 65MB monster with 32 layers and 114 classes.

Anyone know what the issue is caused by?

I tried both options of "print patterns at screen resolution" and neither makes any difference.

1 answer to this question

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

What happens when you use File > Export > Export PDF? The print PDF is just the OS emulating a printer and you don't have much control over it.

However, in versions older than 2015, you may get better results by going to Tools > Options > Vectorworks Preferences and under Display, changing the setting for Quartz Imaging to whatever it currently isn't set to.

With it off, transparencies and some other things will not work, but it can resolve issues when trying to use Print to PDF instead of using Export PDF.