VW 10.1 now available

Katie,

I am amazed that it has not been fixed.

If you could only dock one pallet directly over the next one without an offset I could understand. The way the pallets dock staggered, as they are now, indicates that some bright decision maker accepted a software bug in an obviously visible spot of the interface. As a user, I wonder were else this bright decision maker has compromised the integrity of the system.

In this day and age it is a given that most programs have movable toolbars, pallets. In fact docking pallets worked just fine in the earlier versions. The code is most likely a carryover from prior version but is interacting with new code. That interaction is considered acceptable really makes me concerned with what else may be hidden.

It is really amazing this product is released passing software quality inspections.

[ 02-13-2003, 07:26 PM: Message edited by: Peter N ]

The problem is not as easy as it sounds. It's actually quite a difficult task to address the palette docking issue from what I've heard from the engineer.

If only it were as easy to weed thru a line or two and make a correct change.

Peter, I was able to dock my palettes one over the other. But it wasn't easy - in fact, I can't tell you how I did it. One thing I did was to customize the workspace so that my tool palettes were a long string! For the other column containing 2 palettes, I tried docking them first in one order, then another, and after a few minutes I finally hit the right combination.

I'm confused by this thread. Is everyone aware that version 10 allows you to disable palette docking altogether? I was as happy as a clam when I saw that.

You can put the palettes wherever you want and they stay there, and you can just click on the one you want to move it to the top, or double-click to minimize them window-shade style. Like in version 8. And better - you can pick the number of columns for each tool palette.

quote:

...you cannot place palettes along the top right under the menus...

Yes I can. I can put them anywhere I want, even off the screen.

I normally keep 3 palettes on screen but rolled up (just the top bar showing), on the right side of that grey bar just under the coordinate display (the one that says what tool is currently selected), so the drawing window is completely unobstructed.

One of my beefs about version 9 was that I couldn't do that, because double-clicking to window-shade them made them dock if they were in that position. But 10 fixed that, by including a check-box called "Enable Palette Docking", in the Session tab of VectorWorks Preferences.

[ 02-13-2003, 11:14 AM: Message edited by: jan15 ]

When you dock palettes at the top of the screen, they dock in a single row.

This is the trickier way to dock palettes in Vw 10.

With palette docking turned off, you cannot get a entire palette to display across the top of the screen in one row. The maximum number for the width setting in Workspace Editor is 9. This would make palettes like the 2d and Objects arranged in two rows, rather than one like docking does for you.

Even if you minimize the palette, you still can't get all the tools in one row.

That's the reason most people are complaining. It's not allowing them to maximize the space on their screen in an organized fashion.

BTW in VW 9, you could set the palettes to not dock by holding down the control key while moving them.

quote:

Originally posted by P Retondo:

Peter, I was able to dock my palettes one over the other. But it wasn't easy - in fact, I can't tell you how I did it. One thing I did was to customize the workspace so that my tool palettes were a long string! For the other column containing 2 palettes, I tried docking them first in one order, then another, and after a few minutes I finally hit the right combination.

By grabbing the left hand bar or portion of the palette I was able to easily stack the toolbars.

I took your advice and modified the workspace to a single row of tools directly under the menu. Once I get used to the organization I think it will work out well.

Thanks for the suggestion

The update should be available one day this week.

Unfortunately, we've been hit with about 28" of snow since the weekend and have been closed until today (Wednesday).

There will be a notice when the update is available.

[ 02-19-2003, 09:04 AM: Message edited by: Katie ]