Vectorworks Architect or Designer?

Shannahans

Hi,

This may sound like an obvious question - but if I am starting out as an Interior Designer, am I best using VW Architect or Designer? I will only be using it to create 2D drawings (mostly internal) and will not be copying over any existing plans (ie. I will be drawing plans from scratch in Vectorworks).

What are the key differences between Architect and Designer?

Also, do I need to make use of many of the various wall styles, or are many of these irrelevant for what I need?

Thanks!

Shanna

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Designer includes Architect, as well as Landmark, Spotlight and Fundamentals. It's everything all at once.

If you are primarily doing 2D plans for Interior Design, you will most likely be just fine with Architect.

Its possible you could get by with just Fundamentals, which is the most basic package, but there are a lot of convenience features offered by Architect (Exporting PDFs, Publish, Wall Styles as you mentioned, the full Window and Door tools) that you will likely want.

I recommend Architect, but its also possible to start with just Fundamentals, see how it works for you, then get in touch with your sales rep and add Architect later on if you find yourself hindered.