Vector works 2015 texture problems

I am at my wits end every time I install Vectorworks 2015 and then work on a document even a basic one - opening a texture dialogue box to either add a simple texture or edit a simple texture - is like waiting for death. I have an iMac with 24 gig of ram a video card with 2 gig of vram and never have any other app open while working in Vectorworks. Had my Mac tested at an apple authorised dealer for hardware problems and was 100% a-okay. Also completely erased the hard drive and done complete clean installs of the software using the latest updates. tried this program on Mountain Lion, Mavericks and Yosemite - all with the same problem.

The software runs a pre render and render bar bottom right which should be so fast you never see it - well I do and it does this when changing the colour of a basic texture or anything to do with editing or adding a texture. Latest problem in using a disc version the libraries don't download no matter what browser I use. I really am lost for ideas. So any constructive suggestions would be gratefully accepted.

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

I am not able to replicate that here on OS X 10.9, If you create a new blank file and create a new texture in it (a simple image based one is fine), then try creating another, does the same delay occur?

Which service pack are you currently using? This is listed next to "Application Version" in Vectorworks > About Vectorworks.

Additional Info: I have other techs here that have come across users with this problem, they were unable to replicate it as well.

One of the users was able to correct it with a full OS wipe and reinstall, this is of course overkill, but it may indicate there is a simple software conflict causing the issue and would explain why we can't replicate it.

Please send me this from your machine as well and I can take a look:

http://kbase.vectorworks.net/questions/627/DirectX+Diagnostics+and+System+Profiler

Email it to tech@vectorworks.net ATTN me. Link to this thread in the email, please.

Hi Jim, thanks for the quick response - will have to send you my Mac info tomorrow as I am replying to this on my iPad. I am using the fundamentals version of Vectorworks 2015 with renderworks and until receiving the disc was using the downloaded service update pack SP2 but did a complete install from the disc which isn't the latest version. I am at the moment having a problem downloading the libraries again from scratch off the website I am told files are downloading but nothing happens even if I try with a different browser or install libraries separately instead of all of them at once. This is of course a separate matter. But only on 3 occasions through several re-installs has the texture dialogue box performed properly and in isolated incidents. There has been no obvious clue as to why on these few times it has worked. Mostly on new documents with a basic extrude and a simple texture the dialogue box stalls and the spinning wheel of frustration appears. And also accessing the render set up options such as 'artistic' to get a response is again very very slow.

I shall get back to you regarding my system etc asap. I have done complete clean install of the Mac operating system but no joy.

Hi Jim, I know in your email you suggested that I create a new document do a basic extrude and time how long it takes to apply a texture. I did something more basic which describes exactly the problem I keep having.

I opened a new document and saved it - then went to get a new texture from resource. The times are as follows: Approx 1 minute to open the texture dialogue box.

To pick a reflection type eg plastic and to be able to put in a value between 1 and 2 minutes. To be able to enter in a name for the new texture nearly 1 and a half minutes. To click okay and exit texture box 1 and a half minutes. A further minute or so after texture box closes before I can progress further in the document or select anything.

It's not looking good.

Gotcha, thats way longer than even my slowest machines take here (and your machine is faster than half of them)

Go ahead and do the SP2 update anyway, though you mentioned it did not correct it before. I will submit your system profile and see if engineering can see why the delay is so severe and/or if we can get identical hardware here to test on to rule that out.

• 1 month later...

Well I really did want to renew my vectorworks subscription but unfortunately the same problem with the long time involved in just getting and editing textures hasn't gone away so really this software isn't fit for purpose as far as I'm concerned - has any body else had this problem and solved it? Or is it just the fact lady Luck has dumped me good and proper with this version of Vectorworks? Version 2013 here I come.

I have only gotten this report from you so far, I included your machine's profile but often without multiple cases to compare it can be difficult to find what on your machine is causing the delay.

Another thing worth trying is running VW in a new user account to see if you get the same lag, but I don't recall if we tried this with your case:

http://kbase.vectorworks.net/questions/805/Creating+a+New+User+Account+%28Mac+OS+X%29

• 3 months later...

Hey Bazza, you are not the only one.

I have been suffering the same delay on every texture edition.

When I try to edit or create a texture the dialogue bar takes at least 30 secs to react and every change in that dialogue box takes the same to work. It is very annoying.

This behavior begun approximately 1 month ago, I´ve been using VW2015 since last december and originally I didn't notice any problem.

I tried all the posted suggestions, but, no changes.

Please, Any idea what could be causing all this?

Thanks