Which Mouse for CAD under OS X ?

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kensington Expert Mouse. Used heavily for both CAD and photo editing (at home). Needs latest version of Trackball Works 1.2.1 software. Plays nice with Vectorworks up through 2017. One nit: the score: wheel on-screen action is not as smooth as it should be.

that's "scroll" wheel!

Edited by RGyori
misspelling
On 10/12/2016 at 11:56 AM, markdd said:

Me too. Good accuracy and nice to hold. Quiet reliable although the Bluetooth connection can sometimes become erratic. I prefer using the USB puck that comes with these.

I call it a dongle -but I use that too - those little unifying receivers are nice - especially if you have other Logitech stuff. 

Looks like my CADMouse works/clicks again - at least when my hand is not sweating ...

And the MadCatz Rat5 somehow works too with Sierra.

No Side Buttons or Side-Scroll-Wheel of course, but as you set Speed Setting from Hardware,

it works really well everywhere.

For the crosshair cursor sticking in VW, i have to look at it again. Currently it does not stick.

On 12/10/2016 at 5:56 PM, markdd said:

Me too. Good accuracy and nice to hold. Quiet reliable although the Bluetooth connection can sometimes become erratic. I prefer using the USB puck that comes with these.

11 hours ago, Tom Klaber said:

I call it a dongle -but I use that too - those little unifying receivers are nice - especially if you have other Logitech stuff. 

If you run into connection reliability issues with the usb unifying receiver,  or if your bluetooth receiver is also a "dongle" like the unifying receiver type then you may want to try using a short USB extension cable.

Apparently on at least laptops, but perhaps on some desktops as well depending on the location of the ports, the electromagnetic shielding can be quite weak near USB ports and this may cause interference with the wireless signal. Using an USB extension cord of a approx. 10 cm (4 inches) may solve the issue of connections dropping or being erratic.

In our office, we've found a lot of problems with wireless mice and have opted for corded ones instead.

For long hours of drafting, I've found the larger mice to be more comfortable as they support the hand better ... you don't have to hover over them, but can rest your palm on them instead.

On the Mac, the Logitech mice are well supported.  I use the logitech G502 gaming mouse.  It has 9+ buttons and the scroll wheel can adjust between ratcheted or smooth.

The buttons are intuitive and are distributed well for muscle memory.

My button settings are incredible time savers:

[escape] for return to the selection tool - I use this about every third click

Hot keys for entering and exiting groups

Hot keys for toggling the tool modes (saves repeated trips to the mode bar)

... and of course the standard click and right click.

The one negative is that panning (with the mouse wheel button) will also result in a stilted zoom.  So, I just hold down the space bar and pan the old fashioned way.

Currently in VW 2017 scrolling seems to be mostly interrupted until I have no geometry

and selection highlight under my cursor.

This is a problem with my CADMouse as it has a go to top/bottom option when scrolling

really fast and scrolling works at one moment. Then it will scroll infinitly in or out.

Same in Cinema.