Worksheet Field Name List?

I was wrestling with this exact issue - even the inconsistent manufacturer fields when changing a door schedule to a window schedule - just a couple of days ago! I always just create a new temporary report, try (mostly ineffectively) typing a letter to "search" for the desired field, then spend lots of time scrolling through the choices. ((Oh, I just found that you can alphabetize the list... that's at least helpful...)). But all still pretty time consuming...

Is it possible to export a Worksheet to Excel with the scripts displayed? That might be a way to make a comprehensive, searchable list...

My personal opinion is that you are best to place an instance of the PIO type you are working with in a separate file and then run the script from there. Since the worksheet the script creates has to be open to be able to cut and paste the record.field values, I find that it is a very large window and takes up a lot of drawing space.

For me it is easier to swap between files that to swap between worksheets. On the Mac, you can use Command-~ (command tilde) to switch between windows of the current application.

• Like 1

I doesn't seem it's possible to export the Worksheet scripts to an Excel Worksheet, but, they can be copied to Excel, as follows:

1. Create a report for the desired object;

2. Click on “Possible Columns” to alphabetize (optional…);

3. Select “Add All >>” & click “OK”;

4. Click on “1” and copy the whole Header Row;

5. Paste it into an Excel spread sheet;

6. Back in the VW Worksheet, select all of the cells in the Database Row (do NOT click on “2” and select the whole row; ONLY the cells themselves);

7. Copy and paste them into a non-Database row;

8. Keep the selection and change all the cells to Text (Format > Cells… > Number > Text);

9. Copy and paste these cells into the Excel spread sheet (aligned with the header row…);

10. Voila! It’s now a searchable list of all the Field names and their scripts…

So, maybe this is another option (Pat, it seems your script creates a Vectorworks Worksheet which, as far as I know, isn't searchable?).

But, all that said, ULTIMATELY, ideally, wouldn't it be better if:

1.) The field names ("Possible Columns") were organized hierarchically, and so that their organization matched that of the PIO's Settings dialogue window;

2.) And it were possible to select desired fields (via the above described hierarchically organized options...) directly from within Database cells? (Not unlike you can Set or Edit Criteria for the Database rows themselves...). This would include the same access to custom Record Formats.

I use Pat's script: https://techboard.vectorworks.net/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=108487#Post108487

Just select an object and run the script. For windows and doors, insert a window or door outside of a wall, and run the script on that. It doesn't work on objects inserted into walls.

hth

mk

Yeah, that's what I've been doing too, but I find it mind boggling that there isn't a comprehensible list at all, how on earth are we meant to use Vectorscript without it?

• 2 years later...

@Pat Stanford, the script super useful, thanks! 

I have one issue that I can't figure out however. I'm trying to create a housekeeping worksheet for Elevation Benchmark tool. One column I want to have is the class. This will allow me to quickly make sure that all the markers are on the right class, throughout the whole file. I've done this with other plug-ins in the past. But for some reason, there doesn't seem to be a way to call up class or layer info. regarding the Elevation Benchmark tool. Am I missing something?

thanks,

matt

@Pat Stanford,

maybe another dumb question but...now that I have my "class" column, what do I need to do to be able to edit this from the worksheet? If you look at the screen shot, you'll see that the entry value is grayed out. I've never understood what determines gray vs. active fields when using PIO worksheets. Is there a way to change this?

Thanks,

Matt

58d5bfbfc43f8_ScreenShot2017-03-24at5_51_44PM.png.57039019be121f968881c70fba59606c.png

Unfortunately, the 2-way worksheet only works on Record.Field data. Anything (actually I am not positive it is anything, but almost anything) that you use a "default" formula for (=L, =C, =T, =Length, =XCenter, etc.) can not be changed in the worksheet database.

Now, if this is functionality that you really desperately need, it MIGHT be possible to use a scripted Worksheet Function. Or to add a custom Record.Field that you could change in the worksheet coupled with a script that would then write that data to the object.

But both options are likely to be painful and less than satisfying.

Sorry.

Is there a Record.Field data format to call up the class, then? Or are you saying that I'm stuck with 2-way functionality when it comes to class and layer management?

I would settle for a script to simply change the class of all plug-in objects to the same class, I suppose. No worksheet needed...although the worksheet would be useful to at least analyze the situation. I work in an office where I've inherited some very polluted/disorganized files, and I'm trying to help clean things up in an efficient manner. I'm also trying to get others on board in helping out in this effort, otherwise, I'm going to be forced to do all of this myself.

Thanks,
matt

=C will call the class of an object in a worksheet database

If you delete a class and there are objects assigned to that class, you will be given an opportunity to move all those objects to a different class.  Not exactly what you were hoping for, I know.  But it might be helpful.

Using a script to assign things to a class is pretty easy, (famous last words) if you can be specific about how you want it to work.

I also often inherit files with class assignment catastrophes.  I usually create a worksheet that uses class as the only criteria.  Then you can pick the class Site-DTM-Modifier and marvel at how many doors are assigned to that class.  I set the column headers as Layer, Type, Parametric Object, Name  (=L, =T, =PON, =N).

Then you can right click on the row header of whatever object you want to investigate and it will choose it on the drawing.  Then you can reassign the class of that object.

Pat has built a CRAZY worksheet that is the gold plated version of this idea.  I think it's in the worksheet forum?

mk

1 minute ago, michaelk said:

If you delete a class and there are objects assigned to that class, you will be given an opportunity to move all those objects to a different class.  Not exactly what you were hoping for, I know.  But it might be helpful.

Using a script to assign things to a class is pretty easy, (famous last words) if you can be specific about how you want it to work.

I also often inherit files with class assignment catastrophes.  I usually create a worksheet that uses class as the only criteria.  Then you can pick the class Site-DTM-Modifier and marvel at how many doors are assigned to that class.  I set the column headers as Layer, Type, Parametric Object, Name  (=L, =T, =PON, =N).

Then you can right click on the row header of whatever object you want to investigate and it will choose it on the drawing.  Then you can reassign the class of that object.

Pat has built a CRAZY worksheet that is the gold plated version of this idea.  I think it's in the worksheet forum?

mk

Unfortunately, in most cases, I cannot justify deleting the classes that many of the objects have been incorrectly assigned to, as these classes are otherwise being used for many other types of objects...such is the nature of entropy.

do you know here can I find a simple class reassignment script?

I'll check out the worksheet forum too...thanks!

20 minutes ago, mgries said:

This sounds "fun", but it would not allow any sort of batch editing with respect to class reassignment, correct?

Correct.  

But it does give me insight into the drawing habits and ticks of the person/people who previously worked on the file :-)

Often I can use the select object trick from the row header to navigate to the layer, then use the magic wand in the first mode to select everything in that class and then use it again in the second mode to select by type.  Then reassign those object to the appropriate class.

Making a script for on specific situation would be easy enough.  But making a script that is flexible enough to work for any situation is trickier.  (at least for me:-)

What if the script worked like this:

Select an object that is in the wrong class.  Run the script.  The script throws up a dialog box that asks for the new class.  Then it finds all the objects of that type, or that symbol name, and changes the class to the new class.

On second thought:  That's already possible in VW.  Tools > Custom Modification…

Set the criteria  Class = __________ and whatever else.  Click OK.

The next dialog box is a Properties Box.  Change the class.

hth

mk

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...
On 3/26/2017 at 2:51 PM, michaelk said:

mk

Yes, that script that builds the worksheet of all the objects in the drawing separated by layers/classes is in the archive forums.