Paragraph Editing

binubinu

Question

Recently migrating from ACAD to VW. I feel crippled when it comes to paragraph editing, for example the inability to create a bulleted/ automatically numbered list w. proper indentation.

I don't think I should have to open Word/ Acrobat along w. VW to simply create a well formatted list of notes (which are an integral part of an architectural drawing). VW, could you please add on a paragraph editing feature to your basic software?

Thanks,

- b

• Like 1

10 answers to this question

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Anything else other than list organization and paragraph formatting you'd like to see specifically?

Text handling is pretty similar on Mac and Windows now, they just have different built-in special character entry systems, but thats part of the OS rather than a Vectorworks component.

On 1/23/2015 at 9:17 AM, JimW said:

Anything else other than list organization and paragraph formatting you'd like to see specifically?

Text handling is pretty similar on Mac and Windows now, they just have different built-in special character entry systems, but thats part of the OS rather than a Vectorworks component.

I also feel like text might be the weakest tool in all of Vectorworks and I have brought this issue up a number of times, so I hope this thread gets more traction that my previous attempts have.

Some of the basic features that text should have in Vectorworks include:

• Auto-bullet / Auto-number list - I mean if you can do it in the forum, you would think you can do it in the program...it would be even nicer to take this farther with the creation of list styles that could support multiple hierachies (i.e. Item 1, Item 1.1, Item 1.1.1). Think sheet specifications!
  • Auto indent - No brainer. I shouldn't have to TAB in every line, inserting tabs everywhere into a paragraph, to get a basic indented paragraph. When you change the size of the text box, you have to do it all over again.
  • Columns - I am starting to feel like I am reinventing the wheel here.
  • Link or Chain text boxes - For multiple page, multiple columns layouts, the ability to insert text and have it spill over into linked text boxes through out the document, dynamically, so as one text box is modified the text moves throughout the document accordingly...think InDesign
  • Ability to Import/Reference a Word Doc - Almost everyone uses it, so again, why reinvent the wheel. Create the ability to link to or reference a word doc into a text box so that it maintains Word formatting.
  • Smart Links - I want the ability to create a hyperlink type text that connects the text to an object, sheet layer, viewport, drawing label, or something. For example, Matchline callouts. If I have multiple sheets with multiple matchline callouts on each, I would love if the text "MATCHLINE - SEE SHEET 1.01" could have the ability to change when all of a sudden Sheet 1.01 becomes sheet 1.06. THIS IS BIM and it's so strange to me that a program that claims to be a BIM leader lacks this seemingly basic functionality. If I insert a reference to something within my Vectorworks drawing, it should be dynamic as a baseline.

As I have mentioned in several previous posts, text handling is the most basic symptom of what I feel is a far more comprehensive condition. Tools within Vectorworks are developed to a baseline and considered DONE, time to move on and create something new...to a baseline. I'm not asking for perfection, but first base is a long way from home plate.

My hope is that these forums can help us all move the needle a little, even if I have to result to nagging. Thanks@JimW for all you do to make us feel heard.

• Like 3
21 minutes ago, willofmaine said:

Um, yeah, the ability to copy text from a Word document into Vectorworks and have all of the formatting, paragraph styles, numbered lists, etc., preserved would be good.  Gets my vote...

What could be even better is some function, similar to Adobe InDesign, that would allow you to insert referenced text and formatting from a Word Doc. That way you could do all of your text editing and writing for certain elements in Word where you get the benefit of Auto Spell Check and Auto Grammar Check, as well as auto-numbering and auto-bulleting.

• Like 1

A few simple things would be great as well.

Like the being able to press enter (alt-return) to set the wrap width of text while typing.

I don't think we should have to rely on shuffling in an out of a word file to get what should reasonable features for modern programme like live spell checking.  Sure would be useful for many but it doesn't negate the need to improve the basic text tools.

• Like 3