Fixes for the Polygon and Polyline interface

Kevin McAllister

Question

When drawing a complex polyline or polygon (really any path based tool), I often find I mis-click and Vectorworks closes the object before I'm ready. I wish hitting undo directly after closing a polyline took you back to where the last point was active to continue drawing. Right now undo takes you back to no polyline at all which really isn't very useful.

Kevin

11 answers to this question

OK, understand.

What makes me nervous is when you want to close a Polygon with the last click,

and it doesn't close even if there was only one vertex to snap.

I often get double vertex points too.

You can use the k-key to close things (?) but that didn't always work for me.

Forgot the double click.

When a "ending failure" occurs, I just go with it, then click "Closed" in the OIP, then double click the thing and remove the extra vertex(ices)... Not perfect, but...

What would really help me was if the Stating Point (which is also the intended Ending Point) would light up like an Xmas Tree so I can easily find and snap to it. Often it is there, but is inadequately highlighted...

+1 undo into poly path status before path ended.

Should this also include backing through the path point by point with repeated undo. Current process is repeated delete key.

Side issue - For some reason it needs dbl press of Delete to delete the most recent point. Intended?

+1 start point super highlighting.

Great improvements.

-B

Peter I like that idea too. As you say its often hard to find that point again.

I'd sort of like the enter key to also act like the final double click. I am so used to all the NURBS commands that use the enter key and I like consistency.

Side issue - For some reason it needs dbl press of Delete to delete the most recent point. Intended?

This usually happens when you draw curves by click dragging. The first delete is deleting the curve direction which is a hidden weight point, the second delete deletes the point itself.

Kevin

Kevin - Thanks for pointing that out. I hadn't thought of it that way because there was no segment. Here's what I did:

Polyline tool, Corner Vertex mode (probably same for all modes).

Draw a zig zag of several points. Click the "last" one to establish the point, but do not move the mouse to start a segment. Just let go of the mouse without moving it. I guess this is a segment in progress, length =0 until the mouse moves.

Press delete. Nothing. No visible change.

Press delete again. Most recent point deletes, and poly rubberbands to previous point.

Not a problem, really. As you say, the first press of Delete key deletes the segment in progress, second press deletes most recent vertex. But it's disconcerting if mouse has not moved to display a new segment.

-B

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

I will, there are quite a few tools that use this sort of drawing interface and I wanted to get them all included with suggestions that work well for each/all. (I normally only post after I have already submitted it just so I don't forget anything.)

But if it goes on the Wishlist section I will catch it, I filter through this board specifically every few days to make sure nothing gets forgotten.

Nothing wrong with bumping them to check status though ;)