Symbol names as text in iso view

If you take a moment to ponder this. I am working in VW 2014 all updated on OS 10.8xxx.

We are redesigning our display case inventory and have run into a little situation. We have made record formats and record fields for much of the information we need to know about our cases: i.e location, current exhibition and upcoming exhibition. We have linked text to the symbols so this info shows up in the isometric view of the (drawings)inventory as text.

The thing we can't figure out is how to get the symbol names to show up in the isometric views. All of our symbols are named but we don't want to have to re-type (or copy/paste)all of names in individual record fields.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks,

John

I don't know of any direct way to do this. Since the Symbol Name is not part of an accessible record format, you can't use it directly to Link Text to Record.

The only suggestion I can make is to add a field to your existing record format (or add an additional record format) and then use a script to add that Record to the Symbol Definitions and copy the Symbol Name into the Field.

If you decide to go this way, let me know and I can probably help you out.

I have added Enhancement Requests for two ways to possibly accomplish this task. Hopefully they get added to future versions.

There is one relatively simple workaround…

1. Add a field to the record format to carry the symbol name.

2. Add some text to the symbol definitions. Link it to the new field.

3. Create a worksheet database with the that field included. In another column use the call =S to get the symbol name.

4. Select the cells in the symbol name column from row x.1 through x.n

5. Copy

6. Select the cells in the new field column, same range of rows.

7. Paste.

Let me know if I can make that less confusing :)

mk

It depends on the intended use. If this is really a one time only event and you don't have to worry about the names changing in the future, then the worksheet is absolutely perfect and brilliant. You can set it up and do it in way less than an hour even if you have never worked with worksheets before.

The script will be more robust and better for things that will change more often, but even with all the scripts I have written to do similar things, I would estimate that a fully robust script with error checking etc. would take nearly 8 hours to program and test.

Different Horses for Different Courses.