Working Planes and 3D snaps

Marc

Got a few questions:

Is it possible to change the color of the working plane? and the ground plane?

What is exactly is the world coordinate system?

Can objetcs have a seperate different coordinate system?

Are 3D objects always drawn on the working plane if you don't snap to an object?

What exactly is this tangent snap thing and how the heck does it work? It doesn't seem to be of any use except for moving objects.

When I want to draw a nurbs curve between two objects with different z heights and not on the working plane it's possible to snap to the objects but any intermediate point is placed on the working plane. Is there any way to avoid this?

Also why is the smart edge (snap to working plain) active for nurbs curves?

So I'm at the end of my Autodrag 2002 training and what a nightmare. They are not even good at copying.

The only good thing about AC is the coordinate system and its ability to be adapted and changed so easily. Which really surprises me because everything else is such a pain the arse.

This could be a great thing to have in VW especially in 2D. But I'm not going anywhere. I still think VW is the best especially now that the plugins for Cinema 4D are available.

Thanks for any help

M

Marc: A few answers:

Got a few questions:

What is exactly is the world coordinate system

**This is the ACAD equivalent of VWs Ground Plane. It is the "unalterable" coordinate system. In ACAD the UCS (user coordinate system) is a "temporary" transformation from the WCS.

Can objetcs have a seperate different coordinate system?

**Objects don't hAve coordinate systems. They exist within coordinate systems, and their coordinates vary depending on what coordinate system is currently active.

Are 3D objects always drawn on the working plane if you don't snap to an object?

**In my experience, this is so.

The only good thing about AC is the coordinate system and its ability to be adapted and changed so easily. Which really surprises me because everything else is such a pain the arse.

This could be a great thing to have in VW especially in 2D.

**Actually, VWs 3D equivalent, the working plane, works just as well as ACAD's UCS. But there is no 2D equivalent, something a lot of us have been asking for.

[ 02-09-2003, 02:11 PM: Message edited by: P Retondo ]

Is it possible to change the color of the working plane? and the ground plane?

You can't do this. I will add it to the wish list.

3d objects are drawn from the ground plane except when the working plane is the active plane. Whichever plane is active will determine the plane the obejcts are drawn from.

There are certain objects like PIO's, symbols and walls that will always draw from the ground plane. You cannot draw these objects from the working plane.

What exactly is this tangent snap thing and how the heck does it work? It doesn't seem to be of any use except for moving objects.

The tangent snap allows you to draw an object based on the point of tangency. Alot of mechanical like users use this function for drawing parts at exact tangent points on a circle.

When I want to draw a nurbs curve between two objects with different z heights and not on the working plane it's possible to snap to the objects but any intermediate point is placed on the working plane. Is there any way to avoid this?

I am not sure I follow this question.

As long as you have the correct objects selected, a nurbs curve will draw between the two selected.

Also why is the smart edge (snap to working plain) active for nurbs curves?

Smart edge constraint allows you to snap to the edge of an object. A nurbs curve has an edge, which is why you are allowed to snap to it.

I'm not sure how you understood this to be the smae as snap to working plane. If this is not the answer you are looking for, please elaborate on the question with a little more detail.