soft goods:improvements

1. Denote breaks in long lengths without having to draw individual curtains. Example: 1 length of curtain is drawn at 100' and the count it 20' panels. Yes the OIP can calculate how many panels that is, but one drafting convention is to put an "x" at the breaks to show where the panels go.

2. Denote overlap of drape if running concurrently. As in the above example: 100 feet of drape in 20' panels would have them end to end when often time it is preferred to have them overlapping by at least 1-2 ties so that there is no visible gap. This can add up over the long run.

3. Create archway for egress. In studio shows archways are commonly placed to line up with egress needs. These are simple door openings that are placed with the curtain puddling over the top, allowing for egress through to the fire lane.

• 1 year later...
1. Denote breaks in long lengths without having to draw individual curtains.

2. Denote overlap of drape if running concurrently.

Great news for you, Grant (and, anyone else wishing for those features): We just released a SoftGoods 2 update that includes both of those features! Other things you might find valuable include control over top and bottom trims, panel counting that takes into account tied fullness and panel overlap, and recognition of a custom Texture folder.

In addition to feature improvements, we're also really excited that this release of SoftGoods 2 heralds a new relationship with Rose Brand®, allowing us to offer color-accurate textures representative of several of their popular fabrics, optimized for Vectorworks® 2016. The initial offering includes Encore, Banjo, Voile, and Sharkstooth.

If you're interested in more information, just ask here or stop by our VW Plug-Ins page.

Have a good one...

The Rosebrand integration is amazing.

I have worked with Peter, Bob and the gang for years

(Funny aside - My wife designed and I programmed their first commerce site years ago!!)

I'm loving the #3. Create archway for egress idea above.

Combined with the X for where curtains end.

What would be great for me - is to be able to mark where I NEED a split in the drape - and then have it create one.

Often we will have a long run - but need to add in a split for an emergency exit, catering access or some other "Behind the Scenes" need.

So it is not necessarily a "Archway" - but it is a point where we need to note an egress split in the drape.

As of now - I usually just draw a thick red line where I need it - but that does not show up on a report :)

Exciting times!

Ethan

Evan -

I'm glad you like the Rose Brand additions. Like you, I've been a customer for years. Now, on the other side of the fence, they've been equally great to work with.

Regarding making splits, remember that SoftGoods 2 (and Spotlight's Soft Goods) works just like the polyline tool. You can place vertices wherever you wish and, by stepping through them and clicking the Show/Hide Next Edge, create gaps in your drape lines. While not necessarily creating arches, creating gaps will affect the drape totals the tool tracks (thus, in your reports).

That give you any ideas?

Evan -

I'm glad you like the Rose Brand additions. Like you, I've been a customer for years. Now, on the other side of the fence, they've been equally great to work with.

Regarding making splits, remember that SoftGoods 2 (and Spotlight's Soft Goods) works just like the polyline tool. You can place vertices wherever you wish and, by stepping through them and clicking the Show/Hide Next Edge, create gaps in your drape lines. While not necessarily creating arches, creating gaps will affect the drape totals the tool tracks (thus, in your reports).

That give you any ideas?