VW 2015 quicksave - autosave error

JAR

We are having an issue in VW 2015 when quick saving (Apple + S) or autosave (sometimes).

This error pops up “The file save operation failed. Please try again, or save to a different location”.

When using save-as, there is no problem.

Our clients are working on Yosemite with VW 2015 SP2. By default, the clients are connected to our Windows 2012 R2 fileserver using Extremez-IP version 9.0.4x121. But if we use SMB, we also experience the same issue.

When using VW 2014 we’ve never had this issue.

Please advice.

Edited by JAR
  • Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Same as Bruce on this one. If I happen to have moved the file into another folder, it will give that same message. "Save As" always works because it's not looking for previously saved file.

Ahh gotcha, yep that will do it. Vectorworks can't track it if its been moved.

• 2 weeks later...

In our case, no files are being moved!

e.g.:

Original file is on "\\server\share\project01\test.vwx"

the backup files are automatically created on "\\server\share\project01\VW Backup\...".

If we choose "save as" and browse to the path above, we can see that the file is still there.

Another thing I noticed is that if we get the error message, a new file appears in the projects folder with the original name extended with –VWTMP. So in this example when we are working in test.vwx and we get the error, a file “test-VWTMP.vwx” has been created.

I checked every possible network device, cables and settings on our switches, servers and the clients. I cannot find anything that could be causing this issue. When the same clients work with other programs like Adobe photoshop and indesign, they don't experience any issues when saving to the same location on the same fileserver as Vectorworks 2015.

Like I mentioned in the beginning, we didn't experience this issue with vectorworks 2014. Besides upgrading to VW 2015 nothing has changed on our network.

• 2 weeks later...

When this error occurs "The file save operation failed. Please try again, or save to a different location.", I get this event message in console "Vectorworks: open on /Volumes/filepath..../filename.vwx: File exists"

When I click "ok" on the error message, the "save as" window opens up. If I cancel everything and check the file server, the Original filename has been renamed to "filename-VWTMP.vwx".

???

When this error occurs "The file save operation failed. Please try again, or save to a different location.", I get this event message in console "Vectorworks: open on /Volumes/filepath..../filename.vwx: File exists"

When I click "ok" on the error message, the "save as" window opens up. If I cancel everything and check the file server, the Original filename has been renamed to "filename-VWTMP.vwx".

???

'

That specifically is Vectorworks trying to save data from being accidentally lost. What happens if you try to save it locally to the desktop instead?

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Jim,

We are having this issue as well on both Vectorworks 2015 SP1 & SP2. If we work on the desktop, we don't experience the issue. We are presented with the "10 minutes has elapsed since the first operation…", as well as “The file save operation failed. Please try again, or save to a different location” dialogues, and we can save over the file on the server, that we have been working on.

Additionally, we have had at least two instances of Vectorworks saving throughout the day (at least we thought it was), without being presented with this dialogue, and yet the file was not saved on the server, and ended up loosing a day of work in one case, and a couple of hours in another. I think Vectorworks crashed, and it was when we re-opened the files that we noticed Vectorworks hadn't been saving even though we were not presented with the "10 minutes has elapsed since the first operation…" dialogue.

I had heard that Apple had rewritten/changed the core code for networking in 10.9, and 10.10, but that doesn't make complete sense, since I hadn't experienced the issue in 10.9 or Vectorworks 2014, and I had thought it was something to do with Yosemite not maintaining a connection to the server. But this week it has surfaced that we have one machine running 10.9.4 experiencing the same issue on 2015 SP1. We have updated that machine to 10.9.5, and are monitoring its progress. I can now confirm, this issue still occurs with the 10.9.5 update.

We are running are Mac Mini servers running Yosemite with Areca RAID arrays.

Also I have a number of folders being created in Trash that are showing up after a reboot:

Trash > Recovered files > (A Document Being Saved By Vectorworks)

Trash > Recovered files > (A Document Being Saved By Vectorworks 2)

Trash > Recovered files > (A Document Being Saved By Vectorworks 3) etc.

I have one other app that is creating these files in Trash (Vitamin R), but as it saves to Dropbox, doesn't have the server save issues.

I trust this may assist in solving this issue, as we are moving the Office to Yosemite to be compatible with other apps required for rebranding. For the few test machines experiencing this, we can manage for now, but when we have 25 plus people all experiencing the same issue, one can imagine the chaos that ensues!

Thanks.

Edited by Diamond

Anyone experiencing this issue, we would like some more information please:

1) If you get this error, do you also have Explorer/Finder open viewing that file?

2) Does any other user have Explorer/Finder open and viewing that file?

3) What view mode are you viewing the file in? Specifically, are you looking at the preview image of the VWX file in Explorer/Finder?

4) If you close all Explorer/Finder windows, are you then able to save the file as expected/does autosave resume working as expected?

I have had some odd crashes since updating, but once it crashes, the screen says the file is being sent to Nemetschek.

The crash seems to happen shortly after I open a file, as though "saving every 10 minutes" isn't working and something gets overloaded.

I also had a string of crashes when I was trying to do something as simple as adding a pattern to a rectangle. Weird.

Hi Jim,

Additionally, one of our team noted that they were getting a Message Bar "Autosave timer reset" message when the file was no longer saving. Not sure if that helps.

PS I normally use column view. Will monitor as requested.

Monitoring Update

File not selected in column view—no problems all morning.

File selected in column view—Vectorworks crash upon third save attempt.

-None of the save notifications at the moment, but saving with the file selected is definitely taking more time, and feels like Vectorworks is going to crash (which it did as described above).

-Save notation this time. I had accidentally selected a file in the Finder, that I had open, but wasn't working on. All in column view.

Will keep posting as I gain more data points. Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

1) If you get this error, do you also have Explorer/Finder open viewing that file?

Sometimes yes, sometimes no

2) Does any other user have Explorer/Finder open and viewing that file?

no

3) What view mode are you viewing the file in? Specifically, are you looking at the preview image of the VWX file in Explorer/Finder?

If Finder is open we look at the preview image.

4) If you close all Explorer/Finder windows, are you then able to save the file as expected/does autosave resume working as expected?

In our perception, it is random. we cannot find a recurring aspect.