VectorWorks 9.5.2 Command Errors

tlee

To All:

Let me apologize first if this is an old issue. But has anybody noticed that in VW 9.5.2 (PC), some commands or tools in toolbars actually do something else when you click on them? And somehow, this problem grows. I first noticed with my 'Pallettes/Landmark Tools' command. I can never get my Landmark Tools toolbar to display and instead VW seems to think I want to use the "Unconstrained Single-Line" tool. Now, I just noticed that I cannot change my text from "Bold" to "Plain Text" and instead it's using some kind of "Constrain" tool. The only way to change my text is re-typing it with a new text box. This is very annoying. How can I fix or reset all commands back to normal before I start losing control of all my tools!

Also, I am using a custom workspace. Thinking maybe somthing's wrong with my workspace, I've since switched back to VW's default Landmark workspace which I have not edit at all. Although I can see my Landmark tools, I cannot call up other toolbars from the pallette menu. Again, VW calls up some other command that I did not ask for at all.

Please Help!

Terence

Something is out of whack.

You need to wipe clean this install of VW and the registry entires.

To remove VW, go to Add Remove programs in the control panel. Remove VW.

Delete the VW folder in Program Files.

Then go to the start menu, RUN and type in

regedit

click on OK.

This will bring up the registry editor.

Expand HKEY CURRENT USER

Expand the SOftware Folder

Click one time on the nemetschek folder and press the delete key.

Click yes when asked if you are sure you want to delete the key.

Go to HKEY LOCAL MACHINE and expand it

Then expand Software

Click on the Nemetschek folder and delete it by pressing hte delete key on the keyboard.

If you are on Win 2k/NT or XP, you may have one more registry entry.

Expand HKEY USERS

You should see a folder that starts with S and followed by a bunch of numbers.

You may see two or more of these.

Expand the first S# folder that has "Classes" at the end of all the numbers.

You may see a Software folder here.

If you do, expand it and click on the Nemetschek folder. Delete it.

You can now exit the registry editor by going to Registry and selecting Exit (in the menus at the top).

Then reinstall VW.

It sounds like the workspaces are getting funky on you. This can be caused by a registry error. I have no idea how that happens.

• 3 months later...

I am having the same problem and I have tried your fix though it did not work. The only diferance is I'm getting a weird error that ask me to change views from 2d to a 3d orthogonal because the 3d tools are not acssessable. This happens when I try to change text styles. It was Happening in 9.0.1 and then when I upgraded to 9.5.2 the same problem prosisted. I;ve tried cleaning the Registry with no results. Any advise?

Yes,

I have reinstalled vector works around 10 times now. I even bought a registry clean-up utility and took out all vectorworks related entries. The problem I'm having is every time I change text settings or use the Palettes drop down to turn on or off a toolbar I get this Error. "The 3D tools are not available while the active later is in plan projection. Would you like to switch this layer to orthogonal projection?" Yes Always, No, or Yes.

This happens on all tool bars even the 2D ones.

I have removed all drafting programs from my computer and all unused programs. I have cleaned the registry 5 times and reinstalled to many to count. I'm using Win XP Pro on a P4 2.4Ghz.

DO you have any adivise??

thanks [Confused]

hello,

I just installed 10.1 and the 10.1.2 update. Even with the system wiped of 9.5.2 and the registry cleaned the same problem still exists. It seems to center around drop down menues selecting the wrong commands. Bold= offset underline= eraser. When I try to turn pallets on and off in the window menu it won't work. I have updated my video driver, cleaned the registry and re-installed quicktime. I'm really at a loss here. I have very little functional left in the program at the moment. I called Mark in Tech support and he suggested turning off my Norton Auto-Protect. Again unistalled, cleaned the reg and reinstalled, still no luck. The problem seems to have followed me from the earlyer versions even with compleate removel of the program. Could you provide me with all Registry entries that Vectorworks makes from version 9 on?

thanks

I would think a clean install of the operating system would be the easiest thing to do. I do a clean install (Window XP) about every 6 months for one reason or another. If you are backed up and have all of your install disk organized it's really not that bad. Also, I have never seen the problem you have so something in your registry is mucked up, probably not even a VW entry. You could also try and do a repair of XP from the boot cd, if you are interested let me know and I'll explain the process.

[ 05-22-2003, 08:36 PM: Message edited by: raylibby ]

When you reinstalled VW, did you use add remove programs to remove the application, then move the vw folder to the recycle bin, empty the recycle bin and then reinstall?

When you cleaned the registry, after deleting the mentioned keys, did you do a search for Nemetschek to see if you might have another user account or something else linked to Nemetschek folder within a system folder somewhere?

If you have multiple users, the HKEY USERS will have nemetschek in a few places.

Did the problem appear in the fresh install you used from the installation CD, or does it just show up in the updates ?

[ 05-23-2003, 09:20 AM: Message edited by: Katie ]

I just tried serching the registry and found a couple more places to knock out. Then I re-installed and still have the same problem. It shows up in all versions of VW on my machine. If they are installed alone or one after the other. I talked to the guy who fisrt posted this thread and he says that the fix did not work for him either.