Pulling Criteria from Spaces in Referenced file… POSSIBLE??

I have two files with plans/models.

Each of those plans have Space tools for each floor.

Each of those spaces have information I would like to use in another file (the "master file" where I print everything from).

I can create viewports of the plans in the "master". That's simple.

But when I create a worksheet that is intending to pull data from the spaces in this plans, I cannot specify exactly the criteria. Essentially, in the "master" file, the worksheet pulls every instance of a particular space.

Thus, if I have one viewport showing the plan without the areas… and another viewport showing just the areas… the worksheet counts the areas twice.

I cannot set the criteria to pull info ONLY from the one viewport.

What am I missing??

Why can't it do this?

thanks

otto

VW 2015

Architect

Wow.

I would have thought you could limit the criteria to a layer, class, location, name of viewport, … some identifier of just one viewport in the target (master) file.

Not so.

I only found one way to do it:

In the worksheet summarize a column with a unique identifier for each space object. Probably the number or name of the space. Then summarize all the other columns.

hth

mk

So randomly chose this as a challenge today to get back in the swing of things.

It is possible to differentiate between viewport items via their 3D world orientation in the referenced file.

For example if you were to draw 10 circles within above the X-axis and save this as File01. Then create a new document with 8 circles drawn below the X-axis and save this as File02.

Now create a new (Master) document and reference these two documents in as Design Layer Viewports. They can be placed anywhere.

In this new (Master) document you can create a rectangle that covers a portion above the X-axis where the circle would be in File01, and give it the name Location01.

Similarly you can create a rectangle covering the virtual space below the X-axis and name it Location02.

Note these viewports do not have to be within the locations to work, they just need to cover the origins of the circles from the original files.

Now generate a worksheet with the criteria of Loc=Location01 & T=Circle. It should only show you a count of 10 items. A criteria of Loc=Location02 & T=Circle should result in 8 items.

Hope that made sense. Let me know if you come up with another solution! ;)

J

PS. Sorry I used Circles not spaces for proof of concepts, haha. ;)