VW10 and OS 9.2.2 - CRASHES

am using VW10 on OS 9.2.2 on a G4 dual 1Gig with 1.25gb RAM. i am experiancing continual crashing even doing the most simple of tasks (scrolling/cut and paste/drawing lines), there appears to be no pattern to it, VW just freezes. this is happening, literally, every 2/3 minutes and am having to save even more frequently just to get things done. working for a busy architectural practice it is getting to be a pain as am not getting anything done. other (older) macs in the office running OS 9.0 or 9.1 don't seem to have the same problems. any suggestions anyone (tech support???) as am about to throw it all in the bin.

hi, thanks for the interest. VW just freezes, mouse still works, no error messages and have to force quit but every now and then have to restart the whole computer. have no other apps running in the background except the launcher. there is no specific operation that seems to cause the problem and no specific drawing file just happens with alarming frequency. have rebuilt desktop, reinstalled OS, reinstalled VW even from other disks using different dongles. can't see that it's hardware as computer is 2 months old and every other app i use runs fine - photoshop, quark, office, cinema 4d. VW 8.5.2 works on the same computer without any problems. sorry i can't be more specific but any ideas you have would be appreciated,

Does it freeze and loose mouse function or do you get an error message?

How many other applications do you have running?

What types of things are you doing when the program crashes or freezes.

Ian,

Do you notice it when you think the computer is saving a backup copy of hte file you are working with?

How large is the file size ?

Do you notice it when doing rendering, 3d solids operations, just normal wall/window/2d drafting, or landmark specific operations? (I have no idea what VW product you are running).

Katie

Firstly sorry for delay as am in UK.

As previously stated it is pretty random and can be doing the most simple of tasks, panning for example. Am using straight VW10, no extras. File size doesn't have any bearing on the situation.

Am running the same copy (don't tell) of VW10 at home to do 3d modelling in spare time. I have no problem with it there. Use blue & white G3 at home and it hasn't crashed once, same OS.

At work I use computer as described before, over a network and continual crashing as described. It?s beyond me.

Would upgrading to OSX be an option, we've been avoiding it so far as upgrading all our apps would cost a few pounds, so we feel that sticking with OS9 is fiscally preferable. I would have thought that VW10 didn't force you to upgrade OS as well!

OR is it hardware!!!

ian

Ian

Hey, I'm having similar problem. I'm on a brand new ibook G3 OS9.2.2 using VW10. I find that when I go to do something (happens with all sorts of tasks) it just hangs there for ages before doing the action. Eventually it does perform the task rather than crashing like Ian's machine. I didn't have this problem with VW8. (I never upgraded to 9). It seems a bit like using VW on a computer with not enough RAM except that I have plenty on this machine and have allocated plenty to VW. I too am in the UK...could that have something to do with it.?

Sofia,

There are certain tasks in VW 10 that may take longer than they did in VW because of increases accuracy reasons. It could also be slower if you have additional applications running while VW is running.

Ian,

You probably have a different extension set on this comptuer than you do at home.

Try starting the computer with Mac OS Base Extensions along with the Dongle Extension turned on. See if you have the same issues as you did before.

I am running files heavy with symbols on OS9.2.2 and have found that on VW9.5 they runn normally, byt on VW10 it taked forever to get the cursor to pick a point, render a move, etc. VW10 is much slower than 9.5 with the same file. And it is the same when I run ithem on my Powerbook G3. From the other comments, there is something going on here. I have crashed, but usually it is just very slow.

Are you running vw 10 under os 9.2.2 also?

Do you have alot of extensions that start on startup? (more than one row)

Do you notice the slowness in every file, or just one file?

Do you notice the slowness more after running VW for an extended amount of time, or immediately when launching Vw after a restart of the OS ?

What type of error messages do you get when it crashes?

Katie

have tried today running OS with base extensions - problem is still there though less frequent. i too have plently of RAM allocated to VW so it shouldn't be a memory issue??

my crashing happens on files that don't have any symbols just as frequently as those that do. as mentioned before G3 with OS 9.2.2 at home doesn't have this problem and i do a lot of 3d modelling, the problem with the Dual G4 happens when 2d drafting.

as also mentioned VW 8.5.2 copes with it all on the G4.

are there any tests i could try to narrow the problem down a bit.

Ian

oh, how i long for a drawing board and a pencil sharpener!!!

Allocated memory is not the same as system memory used to run extensions.

With things bogging down the system such as extensions, it can have a serious effect on VW or any other memory intensive, high processor usage application.

It's ideal to leave as many extensions off as possible. Especially under OS 9. It's not designed to handle all of that work as it has to hand off tasks one by one pre-emtively. OS 10 is maximized for these types of things with the co-operative multi-tasking.

Anyways ..

What is causing the slowness? I think having extions known to man installed and running can have a serious affect on the problem.

There could be something file specific causing the problem. If the problem persists across more than one file, then it's probably not file specific unless all the files were crafted using the same template file. Something in the template file may be what is actually causing the problem.

Another thing to check -

How many undo's do you have set?

How larger are these files in size?

Are the computers left on for days and days?

Yes, both computers are running OS9.2.2 My second seat is running on a G4 w/ OS10.2, but I haven't ried my files on it.

Yes there are lots of extensions loading and it takes for ever. Note that the Powerbook does not have the same Extension group nor as many but experiences the similar problem.

The slowness appears on every file, however it was most noticable on a file which employs a large # of symbols on a single drawing which are also being counted.

I have noticed that when I first open the file I can grab loci, move symbols, but that soon it slows down as if it were rerendering or performing some other function off screen for which I have to wait. I can grab move and duplicate those symbols in the same file on 9.5.2 at normal speed always.

There are no error messages just freezes. The freezes are like what occurs when I used to ask for a rendering which exceeded the ram capacity. Perhaps some of the freezes were just my impatience with a several minute wait to recover control of the cursor.

Have you tried starting the computer with mac OS Base extensions ?

All the extensions laoding on startup are running throughout that session of the OS are using memory. The more you have, the more memory is being used by those applications.

This can lead to VW running pretty slow.

Katie

have decided to jump in and upgrade to OSX to see if that solves the problem. trouble is now that i have installed OSX i get an error message stating that i don't have my VW10 dongle attached, even though it is. the drivers have been installed and the red light is on.

any suggestions

Ian

Katie

Have upgraded OS have upgraded HASP drivers and guess what, it still gives me the dongle error. dongle light is on and it shows up in System Profiler so the computer knows its there.

have i got a duff copy of VW disk/dongle? as having problems in one OS is kind of acceptable but two, surely not.

ian

Ian,

When you installed VW 10 under OS 9 - where did you install it to - the hard drive or the applications 9 folder?

Did you reinstall VW under OS 10 ?

If not, you may want to reinstall VW 10.

The light is on, so the dongle is good, and the dongle and serial number worked under OS 9 -- so the serial number is good also.

Gotta be the install..