How to convert many identical groups to component intances

Hi Pat, Thanks heaps for the scripts, I'll come back to this thread when I've run some of them.

The objects are tree planting modules (each module is 25metres long) to enable the owner to plant according to my pattern.

I made an initial module and did a linear array to set out the basic form and number of trees, next I'll modify some of the modules as I want a specific visual effect (as well as some functional effects) which will change from one end to the other - the tree belt is about 700metres long. Once finished I'd like to turn all groups back to components again (so I can reuse them in other jobs, plus it makes calcs easier), especially as some will be identical.

Jobs are getting bigger though and some shelter belts run for many Km so some automation is essential, but without obvious repetition (for aesthetics), and also a long belt may change in altitude, aspect/sun and soil type - wetter/drier etc.

Edited by nig

It sounds like you are coming from another program, so perhaps there is a better way to do what you want.

I think what you are calling components are called Symbols in Vectorworks. These are "definitions" of what an object should look like. Each one that is "placed" in the drawing becomes a "Symbol Instance". If you edit the "symbol" (or symbol definition" to change the way it looks, then every placed instance changes in the drawing.

If I were you I would make the first module as a symbol and then then duplicate that to create the "run" you need. You can then select one or more of these and use the Replace... button in the Object Info Palette (OIP) to change it to a different symbol definition. This will work with symbol instances with identical or different definitions.

If you don't already have a symbol def that has the new look you need you can use the Modify:Convert:Convert to Group to convert the selected symbol instance into a group. You can then edit that group and make a new symbol out of it. You then select the other instances you want changed and use the Replace function on them.

You should probably also take a look at Records and Worksheets. That will allow you to "easily" pull data off the symbols for reporting purposes.

Let us know if you need more help.

If you don't already have a symbol def that has the new look you need you can use the Modify:Convert:Convert to Group to convert the selected symbol instance into a group. You can then edit that group and make a new symbol out of it.

Another way to make a new Symbol definition based on an existing one is to find the Symbol in the Resource Browser, right click, and choose "Duplicate". Then you can make the modifications to the new symbol.

Pat's method works well too :)