Space Tool Proposed vs Net Area calculation

Brian H

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

I was able to get the difference between the two values in a quick test file, could you post your space and worksheet so that I can take a look? Putting those two objects in their own test file (as long as the issue still remains) and posting just that would be fine.

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

I could have sword there was a way to do this. What you are doing would be right for a regular worksheet, but for a database row (where you're doing math on multiple cells in order, below) you would use something like:

=('Space'.'11_Gross Area')-('Space'.'11_Proposed Area')

But in the case of spaces, the value its giving is including the "sq ft" so the math fails. But there IS a way around this, I have simply forgotten it. I'll check here and see if I can grab someone before we close. If not, perhaps another board denizen knows the way.

In VW2015,

'Space'.'Area' and 'Space'.'Proposed Area' should give you the numerical values you are looking for.

'Space'.'11_Area' is defined as static text, so it can not be used in a math calculation.

The script in the following thread will show you the field types for each of the fields of the selected object.

https://techboard.vectorworks.net/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=115054#Post115054

One more question on the proposed vs net area calculation.

The formula works in the worksheet as Pat explained.

Can it be attached to the space? I see that you can specify a formula to be attached to the space label.

When I add the formula =('Space'.'Net Area')-('Space'.'Proposed Area') to the formula, that is what appears on the label, not the numeric value.

Thanks again,

Brian