How do you do it...File Serving

On a loosely related topic - how do other architects out there using VW serve up files? Especially those using Mac OSX? We are set up with several computers in the office, but so far, I am not too happy with the way files are served from a central computer, and am interested in seeing how others are handlingthis issue.

Thanks!

What about a central server don't you like?

Here we have 14 workstations (OSX.2.3) connecting to an Xserve(OSX.2.3) in our server closet via a 100 base-T Ethernet Network.

This arrangement works well, because we have every file in one location and backups are simple and continuous. Individual client stations are not slowed down by having sharing turned on.

We had some issues with VW9 prior to VW 9.5.x with workgroup referencing failing, but that seems to be cleared up in both VW 10 and 9.

Personally I feel that if you don't want to use a central server, you have to have stations dedicated to jobs, don't turn on any sort of sharing, and then get a network backup utility.

IMHO a peer to peer system is inefficient and susceptible to loss of data/work. I am curious to see whay you are anti-server...so to speak.

cheers

actually i am not against a central server - quite to the contrary - i like them very much. currently we have 4 machines running on the network, but we do not use Xserve and that is part of why i am asking the question. we use one of the G4's as the file server, but we are not using OSX server for the server, just plain old jaguar. i have found that there are some difficulties in doing this that i have not been able to rectify yet.

quote:

we use one of the G4's as the file server, but we are not using OSX server for the server, just plain old jaguar. i have found that there are some difficulties in doing this that i have not been able to rectify yet.

What problems are you having using Jaguar as the OS for your server?

we have just put a new machine on in the server position, a dual 1 gig G4. so far trying to save existing files back across the network has been very slow, taking an average of 5 minutes, no matter what the file size is. also, we have not been able to save a brand new file back to it from the client machines. i think there may be something with the permissions settings that causes this, but have not been able to pin point it yet. if you are using jaguar, how do you have it set up, regarding user accounts and the like. we have a separate user set up for our project files, so that everyone logs into that account. i think this may be paart of the problem.

any feedback would be appreciated.

The only easy way is to buy the Server package. This is not to say it can't be done without it. OSX Server and OSX Client are the same OS. There are simply add-ons to make the server package easier to manage and some add-ons.

This means if you can find a UNIX guru, or a mac guy who REALLY knows OSX he can set up Users and groups on your file-server. In the end this is what fixes that issue. That said, if you are on Jaguar, you really need to invest in the Server software, because there is an issue with Client/Server that I think has only been fixed by the Server software. What happens is that clients saving files on the server make them unwritable to group by default. the only way I am aware to fix this is in the management software there is a checkbox for share-points to set the permissions.

Another possibility is one of the snap servers. They aren't very expensive, very easy to setup and maintain. I have an OS9 office I help from time to time using one of them, as they have 6 users, they didn't need any more oomph than that.

The other thing to try to solve the long save times, is to try new cables, maybe even a crossover cable. I had a machine here (one of the PMs announced last week) that had atrocious transfer speeds, turned out it was a faulty cable. If you are seeing it with all machines, then maybe try a crossover cable to see if there is an issue with the hub.

HTH

thanks ion - i will gives these a try and see what happens. i worked on it a bit this past weekend and found that it is a problem on one machine only and only in one direction, so i think i will be able to figure it out at some point and the note about the cables helps. thanks again.