Printing problems

I have 2 problems when printing form VW2015:

a. When printing a file exported to pdf all text characters are overlaid one on top of the other rather than as words and is thus unreadable. However they look ok on screen so may be a printer error.

b. when printing an A4 doc I get page size not supported error, when page size is correctly set and A4 paper is in the selected main printer tray. Other apps print A4 no problem.

BTW I though that this might be a printer driver issue but all print drivers are now automatically installed from App store

Mac osx 10.10.1

HP Photosmart 8250

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

A) Do you mean you used File > Export > Export PDF or File > Print Save as PDF? When you use the alternate method, does the same problem occur?

What application are you viewing the PDF in? Does it display the same opened in Adobe Reader as it does in Preview?

B) If you use these steps to create a new custom page size, does the same issue occur?

http://kbase.vectorworks.net/questions/800/Page+Setup

If so, post a screenshot of your page setup and printer settings please.

I have 2 problems when printing form VW2015:

a. When printing a file exported to pdf all text characters are overlaid one on top of the other rather than as words and is thus unreadable. However they look ok on screen so may be a printer error.

b. when printing an A4 doc I get page size not supported error, when page size is correctly set and A4 paper is in the selected main printer tray. Other apps print A4 no problem.

BTW I though that this might be a printer driver issue but all print drivers are now automatically installed from App store

Mac osx 10.10.1

HP Photosmart 8250

I can only speak to item a) and have experienced the same issue of garbled text when printing from a pdf created via VW's publish function. Problem is specific to Adobe Reader but does not occur when printing via MacOS's Preview app. No matter what printer I use.

Problem A: same as for RGyori - when I Export to PDF the resulting files views perfectly in Adobe Reader, but is garbled when printed. But printing as pdf to Preview both views and prints perfectly. So this seems to be a problem with Adobe.

Problem B: Jim, the printing worked fine when I followed the instructions to create a custom page size. Does this mean that if I want to flip say A4 on its side to fit my drawing that I will now always have to do this with a custom page size? I did not have to do this with previous version?

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

I ALWAYS recommend using the custom page size option to print from a Mac in regards to output from Vectorworks. I dont know why it matters so much, I don't know how it changes things from the defaults other than the margins, but it seems to solve a lot of random odd issues for my Mac users.

http://kbase.vectorworks.net/questions/800/Page+Setup

I do know that printing changes between OS X 10.8/10.9 and 10.10, but the custom page alleviates many of the problems. However, the problems can present in some versions of Vectorworks and not in others, but I have found no strict pattern other than the ones that were already fixed by previous SPs.

• 3 months later...

I had the same issues until, after a lot of research on Vectorworks and Acrobat forums, I came to the resolve.

Running Mac Yosemite 10.10.

Printing issue was on a Canon iPF755 large format printer.

Was gettign text blocks in place of text OR scrambled text.

Fix...Updated the printers firmware in the printer and updated the print driver on my Mac.

This solved the issue and averything prints fine.