Handrail Object

willofmaine

Question

I wish the Handrail Object were more capable and easier to use.

As far as I can tell, it doesn't accommodate newels and balusters; just one choice for "uprights."

I'd assumed the "1st Horizontal Height" was from the bottom. It took a while to realize it's "height" is actually set from the top of the handrail object to the top of the horizontal...

A graphic image/preview in the settings dialogue would be helpful, in general and to clarify things such as what the "1st Horizontal Height" is.

It would be nice if handrail objects could behave more like walls, with corners automatically mitered as they're drawn or when they're created from path objects.

Last but not least, the "handrail object" seems to be more of a guard than a handrail. A guard keeps one from falling over an edge, and a handrail is what one grabs to prevent falling down a stair. Terminology's kinda important, right? Especially in a professional software used for preparing construction documents... VWIS033

4 answers to this question

I'm sure NNA has looked at VectorDecks. The handrails in this tool are amazingly superior to the current VW tool. VW should really consider buying out VectorDecks and incorporating much of it right into Architect.

We haven't bought it because its too expensive to maintain on a per seat license that needs to get upgraded annually.

Its been a while since I tested it but some of the features to the handrails are:

- reference a rail symbol profile that gets used in the top rail extrusion

- same for bottom rail

- replace basic baluster with baluster symbol

Allow for newel posts with replacement from a newel symbol as well.

Either greatly improve the hand rails that are also included in the Stair Objects or make this one easy to add to existing stairs. Either way the rails at stairs and balconies should be made to match each other without having to repeat the same settings in multiple tools.