auto hybrid is still unusable

grant_PD

Question

22 answers to this question

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Usually if they're in there within a year or so I add to the case, if they're older than that I create a new one to keep the important things fresh.

However the wishlist database is large and often its a bit hard to find an exact case if I wasn't the original submitter, but Engineering's policy is "Better that you submit a bug/wish 5 times than not at all."

Of which I am in agreement.

If the auto hybrid doesn't work on groups/pios/symbols then it's useless. I can't spend my days turning objects into the most simple form of geometry possible. That's what a computer is for.

It needs to work on everything. Inside a symbol too.

Agreed, but they do work on symbols though (if you have simple objects in side of those symbols.) I still wonder why they just didn't add the auto-hybrid capability a part of the symbol all together, it would have been so much easier, given us so much more, and there wouldn't be an extra kind of object...

I still wonder why they just didn't add the auto-hybrid capability a part of the symbol all together, it would have been so much easier, given us so much more, and there wouldn't be an extra kind of object...

I often wondered this too. I thought perhaps it would become clear in a later version but it hasn't yet....

I wish that the auto hybrid object was a mode of the symbol rather than a separate object. I don't want that extra edit step as Jim mentions above. And I would love to add or turn off a cutting plane just by editing the attributes of a symbol.

Kevin

One thought is that auto-hybrid objects might not always benefit from being symbols. I've only started using auto-hybrids, and so far they've mostly been single-instance objects (which is just a matter of circumstance, I'm not at all suggesting that auto-hybrids shouldn't be made into symbols; they definitely should when there are multiple instances of them). My point is that when they're single-intances, it's nice not having the extra step of defining them as a symbol. Also, it seems at a certain point, especially for a simple object, that the file resources used to establish it as a symbol might be more than those associated with its being just a simple (albeit auto-hybrid) object? You wouldn't make a single instance of an extrude into a symbol, for example. Okay, maybe more than one thought!...

Except that in the case of scenery, one needs by definition to create a symbol of almost everything as drafting convention dictates that objects be drawn "furniture" as opposed to "architecture." By that I mean that scenery is broken down into elements that are drawn Plan/Front El/Left/Right per object. So in a typical scenery file, a piece of scenery exists in two places at once: It's position in plan view (ground plan) and it's position for its elevational plate to be drafted. The only way to accomplish this feat of relativity is to create a symbol.

Auto hybrids must then always be symbols. Or placed inside them.

If the auto hybrid doesn't work on groups/pios/symbols then it's useless.

Though I agree, the question is what happens for example when you make a door into an auto hybrid what representation is it supposed to choose for the Top/Plan representation? I mean PIOs are already a sort of auto hybrid...?! The same applies for a stair, perhaps even more so because the stair has a Top/Plan representation for the actual floor plus one floor up....?!

Edited by Vincent C

This is the corner NV backed themselves into. The software and all of it's architectural hybrid objects are great as long as all you make are the most basic of houses or buildings. But as soon as you need to make something custom, you're back to doing it manually. Auto hybrids seemed to be some attempt to bridge that, but it's so rudimentary as to be useless.

Grand vision:

Every 3d object is an auto hybrid by default. Upon grouping or symbol-ing, one has the option to override the contained objects' autohybrid with the group/symbol settings PER object.

I like Grant's vision of the auto hybrid. I am constantly making symbols for proper 2d plan representations because I only work in 3d. Sometimes I create a hybrid symbol with a 2d locus just so an object won't show in plan. This is why auto hybrid should be combined with the symbol function and why it should be universal.

As Grant says every 3d object should have 2d. Imagine if the door PIO draws proper 3d geometry then uses the auto hybrid code to generate its 2d portion. Then you could control the cutting line, what's seen above and what's seen below in each instance. The catch is the auto hybrid would need to be live and auto-updating everywhere, including viewports. Right now if you turn a class off it still appears in auto-hybrids as residual information.

Kevin

If the auto hybrid doesn't work on groups/pios/symbols then it's useless.

Though I agree, the question is what happens for example when you make a door into an auto hybrid what representation is it supposed to choose for the Top/Plan representation? I mean PIOs are already a sort of auto hybrid...?! The same applies for a stair, perhaps even more so because the stair has a Top/Plan representation for the actual floor plus one floor up....?!

That's an easy question, if such pio is used in a auto-hybrid, the 3D part must be used to create the 2D part, as that's the auto-hybrid is all about. That's why I would rather see it being part of a symbol: You can then choose if you want to draw the 2D yourself, or let it render by the auto-hybrid option of the symbol.

One thought is that auto-hybrid objects might not always benefit from being symbols. I've only started using auto-hybrids, and so far they've mostly been single-instance objects (which is just a matter of circumstance, I'm not at all suggesting that auto-hybrids shouldn't be made into symbols; they definitely should when there are multiple instances of them). My point is that when they're single-intances, it's nice not having the extra step of defining them as a symbol. Also, it seems at a certain point, especially for a simple object, that the file resources used to establish it as a symbol might be more than those associated with its being just a simple (albeit auto-hybrid) object? You wouldn't make a single instance of an extrude into a symbol, for example. Okay, maybe more than one thought!...

I disagree for the most of this. Yes it's true that the most auto-hybrids drawn are architectural things and you only draw them once, BUT it's also true that those things have to be shown on different levels most of the time, and then you have to duplicate the auto-hybrids, setting one to 2D/3D and the others to 2D only. In this case, you can use a symbol inside the auto-hybrid to really use the same, but a symbol with an auto-hybrid would be so much simpler, where you can then set the cut height for each symbol instance and if 3D must be drawn.

We also need more control for the classes. I know create several auto-hybrids to get the classes right, when one should do it. For example, the object cuts have to be in some sort of hatch and the visible objects in a color. You can use the by class for the cut, but the visible objects can't be if you want to show them different, meaning they will be only one color. I personally think it doesn't need fixing by the auto-hybrid, but by the classes themselves. A class should have at least two fills for this, one to represent the cut, and one for the 'front' view. When this is done, we don't need to set the classes anymore in the auto-hybrid, because we then can just rely on the classes. The auto-hybrid will draw the cuts with the cut fill and the visible parts with the 'front' fill. This should also benefit all other things, especially sections, where this system also can be used, even for walls. I wonder why the didn't even have done this by now, or they are planning to incorporate materials that bring this?