Disapearing textures

SeanOSkea

I’m having a minor but annoying problem with 15. Textures keep disappearing from objects. I will create or import a texture, apply it to a number of objects and go on my way. Later (I assume after reopening the file) I’ll notice that random objects will not display their texture. According to the OI Render-tab the texture is still applied to the object, and other objects in the same scene will be displaying the same texture, but nothing short of re-applying the texture will make the tex display properly on the effected objects. When it happens it will strike 3 or 4 objects at the same time—but again not all the objs with that texture. I can’t say for sure but it seems to affect ext-along-path objs more frequently.

Any thoughts anybody?

Hi Sean,

I recall having similar issues some time ago, but I have not had any since upgrading my hardware. Even worse (for you) I can't remember exactly what was causing the issue or how it was resolved, other than re-applying the missing textures (highly annoying waste of time!).

It may be helpful for you to list your hardware and software in a signature. You can do this by using the My Stuff link above.

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Hello Sean:

A rare issue that sounds a bit similar is that if VW has crashed (several times) you can get Renderworks showing the wrong image textures. In that case you will see the wrong image texture on your objects, the strange thing is it may show an image texture you used in a different file several months or weeks before.

This is very rare (only saw this during beta testing when we had some crashes still to fix) so I don't think yours is the same issue. Is this in Renderworks render modes, and does OpenGL render mode show the textures correctly? Or is this only a problem in OpenGL render mode?

The fix for that rare problem was to delete a particular folder in the User/Library folder in the system, which is where image textures are cached for Renderworks renderings.

Dave:

No it reverts to the attribute color--white if I haven't done anything to it or whatever fill color it was if I had assigned a color.

It happens in all (well both--I can't say all) modes. I usually notice it as I'm examining a Final or custom RW render then I notice something white that should have a texture. It's the same in OGL. This last time it even affected two legs of a chair that I had converted into a symbol. I had to edit the 3d of the symbol to fix the two legs, while all other parts of the chair with the same texture were fine.

The only problem I've had between OGL and RW was a few versions back (12?) where images in textures would be scaled properly in RW but 2x as big in OGL. If I reduced the ratio to make the OGL look right then the final render would show the image 1/2 sized.

But I haven't seen that in a while and even then it was extremely rare.

I think this new thing has only happened in 15 but it's happened several times since September. It only takes a few minutes to fix...if I catch it before I launch a 20-minute FQ render.

Sean

• Like 1
  • 2 months later...

Hi,

I have just posted one about this similar issue. After a crash I lose a few objects and few textures.

If you want to re-create it set up a reasonably complicated interior, add lots of lights and a few image props of paintings then render at renderworks style realistic interior fast. Once it starts click on the screen a few times and you should crash the program.

You too can experience the pleasure of this happening just before the Boss is about to walk out the door for a presentation.

:)

PS. Noticed that after closing VW and not crashing I reopened the file next day to find the last hour of work gone (I did save before closing). So when I went to recreate the textures it said they were in use, use another name but they were not in the resource browser and the class had a generic texture attached , not the original one.

One would have to say this needs looking into it as it has happened to others at work.

Edited by Alan777
  • 1 year later...