Sign in to follow this  
thor01

Requesting: Room Area Dimension Tool

Question

Essentially a tool that works similar to the “tape measure” tool but instead of drawing a line, it draws a box (I’m thinking rounded rectangle look), that when released will place a type box in the middle of the area, stating the room size in whatever units you are using. For instance: select the Room Area Tool, place the cursor in an interior corner of the room, drag to the opposite corner, (the room tool shows a greyed out line with rounded corners to show the space selected), then release, and the outline disappears with a text box pasted into the middle of the space with its dimensions, such as (12’-0” x 14’-4”).

This would be a great time saver to my current way of doing this. Select rectangle tool, draw the box representing the room area, hopefully the box fill doesn't obscure another wall, look in the info palette to see the width x height of the box, commit it to memory, delete the rectangle, type the room dimension, drag it to the middle of the space. Rinse, repeat for every other room....

3 answers to this question

This would currently be done with the Space tool. You can customize its tag to show the length and width. it has a rectangle mode, but also an "Inner Boundary Mode" that works like a paintbucket fill inside walls, letting you fill the space and then get the info in the label that you're looking for. Length, width, gross/net area etc.

Thanks Jim,

Ask and you shall receive !

It seems I can adjust the space tool settings to achieve what I was requesting, however I get resulting dimensions mixed as decimal and fraction, such as: 5'4.723" x 5' 0 1/2"

Is there a setting to force the display to fractions?

I think that means under File > Document Settings > Units, you may have Rounding Style set to "Exact as Fractions / Non Exact as Decimals"

If you change it to one or the other it should force it. If that isn't the case however, let me know.