Sketching with a drawing Tablet on screen plane

Patrick Fritsch

Question

I often create my quick massing volume to scale in VW but the export a perspective image to a sketching app like Sketchbook Pro or Mishief to quickly develop my ideas. The base VW volume geometry helps me to know i'm Sketching ideas to scale.

So my wish is that we could have some basic tablet sketching capabilities on the screen plane over our massing models...If the developers are up to it they could even do 3D painting capabilities which would allow to actually paint/sketch on the surface of the volume geometry.

5 answers to this question

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

To clarify, do you mean that input from the tablet be added in a Plan view, but then projected across the surface of a site model or other 3D geometry? Letting you "draw" on top of 3d object more organically than you sort-of can currently with automatic working planes that just adhere to single flat surfaces?

Or am I missing the point entirely? Which is always possible.

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

You can do this in 2D with the freehand tool with tablet input enabled for most tablet devices. I think the other option is based on the tablets mouse control directly, most of the users I have seen using tablets set it to control their mouse and then enable click-drag drawing, or was there something additional to this other than what I posted earlier?

Just watched the VW webinar yesterday "Sketch to BIM" and kept thinking it would be great to have more direct Tablet sketching abilities directly in VW. This way we eliminate the export step to sketching software like Sketchbook Pro, as we all end up sketching out quick and dirty ideas over our dimensioned/to scale progress drawings. Check out an example here https://architosh.com/2017/09/architecture-firm-accelerates-bim-process-using-their-hands/

Jim can this previous post be bumped up to a formal request?

Thanks