Microsoft Surface and VW

MattG

Has anyone tried using vectorworks on one of the Microsoft Surfaces? I am slightly considering getting one and trying it out as an alternative when I'm on the road. I am curious if there is a way to use the pointer as a mouse or if I am going to just end up using my external mouse.

Matt

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

I would not personally recommend them yet, mainly because of the limited integrated graphics they all have. Last I saw the best they offered was an Intel HD 5000 (built into most i7s I believe) and while it DOES pass our minimum specs, I have had many users unhappy with the performance in 3D.

Looking forward, graphics cards will handle top/plan and 2D graphics as well, so it will even become important for users who aren't working in 3D.

Hardware specs aside, we don't have much in the way of support for touchscreen interfaces, odds are you will end up just using it with a mouse or with the touch mouse emulation they include. (Haven't worked with this enough myself to give a full opinion.)

We may start to support this more as these devices become more common, but if you go that route, understand you are in the early adopter realm that can be fraught with issues not common in normal use scenarios.

That is kind of my thought. Last week I talked myself into thinking it might be a good idea and I think this week I am talking myself out of it.

It will be interesting to see how vectorworks adapts to the changing touch interface of workflow for stuff int he future.

Thanks,

Matt