Importing dxf meshes

I am trying to import some dxf files that contain 3d meshes of landforms. If the files are small, the objects come into VectorWorks as meshes (which I want). If the files are large, the objects come in as a group of 3D polygons (which are unusable). How can I get around this? Is there an import setting I'm missing?

I'm using 9.5.3 on Mac OS 10.2.3.

Thanks,

Geoff

Geoff,

Can you send two files demonstrating the different imports to me, please?

(Send the dxf/dwg files)

tech@nemetschek.net

attn:Katie

[ 01-29-2003, 09:32 AM: Message edited by: Katie ]

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

quote:

Originally posted by Geoff Grummon:

I am trying to import some dxf files that contain 3d meshes of landforms. If the files are small, the objects come into VectorWorks as meshes (which I want). If the files are large, the objects come in as a group of 3D polygons (which are unusable). How can I get around this? Is there an import setting I'm missing?

Meshes have an upper limit of 3000 unique vertices, so it's probably refusing to mesh them because the collected polygons exceed that limit. It's easy to convert 3D polygons into meshes by selecting a bunch of them and doing convert to mesh; you'll need to enter the group they're in or ungroup them first. You'll have to make multiple meshes if you have more than 3000 unique vertices, but hopefully that will work for your needs.

That would probably explain it. I think the larger files that I am working with have about 50,000 vertices. The reason I wanted the entire thing to be a mesh is that I want to be able to apply 1 image as a texture to the entire object. Maybe there is some other way of doing this, but if I apply the texture to a group of 3d polygons, vectorworks places the texture on each polygon individually. I guess I could break the image into pieces and then place them individually onto meshes that have less than 3000 vertices...

Thanks for your help!