Grayed out menu

Kting

I found another post on here about the same issue i am currently experiencing. However their solution does not pertain to me. The issue is my menu bar is completely grayed out, I am unable to delete anything, undo, save, quit, close. nothing.

The last suggested solution for this problem was that there was a door drawn with a width of 0" so the program freaks out and locks up everything up. However I am drawing a basic plan view of a street area and all I am doing is individual lines. on top of that how am I suppose to find something that is technically not actually drawn? if something is a 0" in width doesn't that mean it is either a dot or none existing. Unless that is not the issue that is causing my problem, anyone else have an ideas why this would be happening? because I would think that being able to draw something in as a non-existing object would not even be allowed by the program.

I am left to force quit and unable to save any of my progress.

I mean, I am still able to kinda draw and input text, however i am unable to delete anything and my hotkeys work on and off. That was the only reason I even noticed that there was a problem because everything I would press "2" for the line function it would enter in 2' in the quick input. after a couple of "esc" presses and "x" it would allow me to select line with a hotkey.

I have a dual monitor setup, I look on both screen and nothing. I dont know why a Dialog box would have popped up, unless I double pressed "s". Next time it happens I will look a bit harder, usually when you press F3 to zoom out on the desktop space, dialogue boxes show up above the programs window and I did not see one.

• 5 weeks later...

I have the same problem exactly as you described.

All menus are greyed out and I can draw but not delete.

There's also a text box of the mouse location displayed beside the mouse that I can't get rid of. There's no dialog box opened as well.

It happened when shifting windows around, but I wasn't able to reproduce the same bug after a couple of tries so it must be rare.

A co-worker had the same problem before as well but said it only happened that one time and can't reproduce it.

I can however, save the file with the popup when I click the close.

And restarting Vectorworks seems to fix the problem.

System:

Mac OSX 10.10.1

Vectorworks 2015 Architect SP2

Edited by nahekul
  • 1 month later...

After recently installing Yosemite, we are experiencing something very similar - objects can be selected and moved with the cursor, lines, shapes can be drawn with tools, but clicking on the menu bar reveals nothing but grayed out items.

We can use the quick-key (command-s) to save the file, but then have to quit and re-open Vectorworks to get it to work properly.

We are using VW Architect 2015, OS X - Yosemite.

I'm certain there are no hidden windows open that might be causing the behavior.

Thanks for any help you may offer -

Doug

I am also experiencing this issue. There's definitely no dialog box open anywhere. I'm running VWX 2015 SP2 (Build 240846), on Yosemite with multiple monitors.

As best I can tell from my experience with this issue is that it seems to only happen to me when my Macbook has external monitors plugged in. It generally happens most frequently when I click the middle mouse button to access the Pan Tool and move the drawing around. Usually clicking the button again does not immediately release the tool and then I'll experience the greyed out menus. I can't do most things including directly saving. The only fix has been to Cmd-Q to close VWX which will at least prompt me to save and then restart. It started out as an occasional thing, but has been growing more frequent and I have to restart multiple times while drafting a project.

• 4 weeks later...

we experienced the same thing today on an imac.

no chance to do anything. and the mysterious thing is that when you are moving the arrow there is always a blue box with coordinates running behind.

vw 2015 sp2 on yosemite 10.10.2

Edited by bjoerka
  • Vectorworks, Inc Employee

We may have found it. It appears to happen if you are in the middle of drawing an object (so for instance, after the first click of the rectangle tool in the document) then use boomerang mode or middle clicking to pan and WHILE panning, evoke Expose.

If you let go of spacebar or the middle mouse button, upon returning to Vectorworks, most or all of the menus are grayed out.

Its possible to save your work by clicking the red circle on the document window to close it, which forces a save, but regular saving and quitting doesn't work.

There may be more scenarios that trigger it, but for now the bug has been submitted.

i can´t rebuild what you are describing, but maybe because i dont understand what you mean by "evoke Exposure"

I had the greyed out menues this morning again, but can not rebuilt it.

What i did was setting up a new reference by "refence layer" in the tools menue. After selecting the layer that i wanted to be referenced and leaving the dialog with "esc" all menues have been grey.

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Expose, a built in screen/window manager in Mac OS X:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201741

That isn't the only way to cause it however, I've had users get it for a number of various reasons, that one was simply the one we were able to reproduce the issue most commonly in. There were many other causes and I'm told that a fix for the one we found should also be a fix for the others.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I have been having similar issues, so thought I'd add my symptoms to the list.

The error generally occurs while panning and invoking expose, or mission control. From this point, I am locked into panning for approximately 10 seconds (or after a certain amount of spamming 'esc' key).

It has NOT occurred when using a single monitor or (in Mission Control preferences) un-ticked 'displays have separate spaces'.

The only functionality after this moment is the ability to pan, and use the line tool.

A number of other colleagues have this issue. Those that don't either do not use 'Spaces', 'Mission Control', or only have a single monitor.

• 3 months later...

Hi,

I have the same problem using "progress dialog" on a plugin I wrote. You can quickly reproduce the problem in this way:

1) create a new script and paste "example 1" from here http://developer.vectorworks.net/index.php/VS:Progress_Dialog

2) if you click cancel button it works correctly; if you push the ESC button all stops but the dialog remains opened and, even if you close its window, all is locked and grayed out.

Tested with Vectorworks 2016 SP1 on OSX 10.10.5

Any workaround to solve this adding some code to the example??

Thanks

Edited by AFDesign