Z coordinate and 2D coords in side view

I have always experienced the fact that the Z coordinate of a 3D entity viewed from the side = Y coordinate in 2D space from the same view. So, for example, if I'm in front view and I place a 2D locus at a height of Y = 0 and align a wall to the bottom with that locus, my wall is set to a height of Z = 0.

For the first time, however, I have found that this behavior is not true in a version 9.5.2 file. I find a set of walls originally set to Z = 0, but in side view the 2D coordinate reads Y = 11'-2.755" while the 3D Z coordinate reads 0!! Do you have any experience with this problem? In an archived earlier version of this file, for the same walls Z and "2D Y" agreed (= 0 in both cases).

VW 9.5.2

Win2K

P4 2.0G

[ 01-28-2003, 09:56 PM: Message edited by: P Retondo ]

In a right or left view, the y axis is now going from left to right on the screen, or the thickness of the wall. So in the Data Display Bar, the x and y may read different values than it did in a top view.

Is this not the case ?

Katie,

Yep, the 2D coordinate system has been shifted from the 3D system in all lateral views. I experimented, and found that if I change the origin location, this problem can be caused because only the 2D coordinate system changes when the origin is moved. I can't remember doing that in this file, but it is possible I did and that may be the explanation. Is there any other possible cause?

[ 01-30-2003, 12:09 PM: Message edited by: P Retondo ]

Let me get this straight --

You are concerned about the x and y axis relative to the object when switched to a side, front or back view?

The x and y rulers and Data Display Bar's X and Y are really not the x and y of the object like in plan view?

quote:

Originally posted by P Retondo:

I experimented, and found that if I change the origin location, this problem can be caused because only the 2D coordinate system changes when the origin is moved. I can't remember doing that in this file, but it is possible I did and that may be the explanation. Is there any other possible cause?

Your message crossed with my edit above! When you shift from top to a lateral view, the 2D XY coordinate system is modified so that 2dY -> 3dZ. If you are in front view, 2dX -> 3dX, and if you are in right view 2dX -> 3dY.