Cutting the Wall Projection

POA

Today's questions, and the third in the series, has to do with wall projections.

I have created a series of wall projections to show cladding joints across the face of the building. I have then inserted some windows into the wall which, in 3D, have cut the projections as planned and all is well.

In 2D however the wall projections are appearing in the middle of the windows. The wall is still cut as expected but the projections are not.

Has anyone got any ideas why, or ways around this?

Wes,

I have attached a couple of screen shots, one Axo showing the window cutting the wall projections and one plan showing the window not cutting the wall projections.

I have tried adjusting the cut plane of the 'Feature in Wall' to no effect.

As always any help, tips or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Guest Wes Gardner

Mark,

In my simple test file (included), the beige wall that has both vertical and horizontal recesses does NOT read properly, the black wall with only a vertical recess seems to read OK, I'm still testing...

Wes

Wes,

Thank you for running this through. Just to point out the differences I was using projections rather than recesses, and only vertical elements. The issues were at points the vertical projections ran through the window opening.

Don't know if these make any difference or not.

Mark, I suggest you dump Wall Recesses/Projections all together and use symbols in a technique explained in this thread:

https://techboard.vectorworks.net/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Main=39920&Number=198112#Post198112

In my experience Wall Recesses/Projections are very prone to buggy and irregular behaviour as well as being quite limited in its functionality. It is a feature that definitely needs a lot of attention before being usable to any reasonable degree.

Vincent,

I started using the wall projections so that they would be automatically cut by windows and it would be easy to resize and move the windows without worrying about them.

I shall see if anything comes of this thread but I'm starting to think you might be right. Good thing the 3d modelling tools are nice and simple to use!

Also thanks for the link, most helpful.

Check it out but basically you are using the symbol hole 'feature' to create a recess so any windows, door etc will work as normal, it does however mean you'll need to create an extra component in your wall so that once the symbol is place it removes the rest of the component to leave the protrusions.......

Edited by Vincent C