Question

16 answers to this question

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee
hi jim,

thnx.

yes i know the tool but this tool doesn't project 3d

points.

i only want to project a nurbs curve or a 3d point

to a surface without add, split or trim.

if this option doesn't exist, please add this

to the wishlist.

This would be a good wishlist item. (A good reference would be the Curve>Curve from Surface menu in Rhino. I would love to see project, section and silhouette at a minimum.)

Kevin

Yup, that's it Jim. It would actually be interesting to see the Project tool have the options to create/preserve solids too instead of converting everything to NURBS. (A more advanced solid section.) And be able to project planar curves instead of just NURBS. (As I've mentioned before planar curves and NURBS should really become one anyway for a good workflow.)

KM

Edited by Kevin McAllister
Yup, that's it Jim. It would actually be interesting to see the Project tool have the options to create/preserve solids too instead of converting everything to NURBS. (A more advanced solid section.) And be able to project planar curves instead of just NURBS. (As I've mentioned before planar curves and NURBS should really become one anyway for a good workflow.)

KM

yes yes and more yes.

but not only lines should be projectable,

3d points want to join too!

Submitting request now.

And be able to project planar curves instead of just NURBS.

I am actually able to do this now with circles, rectangles and other planar geometry, are you able to do the same in a test file or does it still require the conversion to NURBS curves on your end?

When I use a Circle for instance projected (in Add mode) onto the top of a sphere, it creates a Generic Solid rather than a NURBS surface.

I use a vertical NURBS Curve + the Analysis Tool (first mode) to place a 3D Loci on a surface where the NURBS intersects it as per this post:

On 11/12/2014 at 4:09 PM, Tobias Kern said:

if i convert my vertical 3d polygon to a nurbs curve,

vw can place a 3d point on the connection

via nurbs analysis tool.

hooray i have my projected 3d point on my

surface. but i have forgotten the numbers of

steps between theory and practice in vw.

with my problem.

i recomment a much needed overhaul!

Be great if there was a better way...?

• Like 1

A few methods come to mind for points.  Each has its problems.  Project your planer object to the surface.  Using the Extract tool, extract the curves and then use the Extract tool again to extract the points from the curves.  If you need more points, use the Rebuild NURBS in the 3D Power Pack Module.

Second and better method.  Once you have extracted the curves, use Duplicate Aalong a Path and a 3D locus point.  That way you can control the points more accurately.

Another method is to place a Line through the object wherever you need a point.  Then manually snap a 3D locus point to the intersection.  

There are probably more ways, but find the one(s) that work best for your project.  Sometime combining all methods is required.

Virtual