Section Viewports on Design Layer vs. Sheet Layer

So I realize that you can create section viewports on either your design layer or sheet layer. What I don't understand is when to choose one method over the other. None of the manuals I have seem to discuss this. Can anyone explain it or point me in the direction to an article or discussion where this concept is explained?

Thanks!

I would say it depends on the purpose of the section. if you want to create drawings for printing (and the other dressings are set up with viewports on sheet layers), then use sheet layer viewports.

If you want to have a section viewport to help with the design in some way, then a design layer section viewport could be useful.

Thanks,

so I did right.

You need a viewport to show a section in 3D as you can't draw the section

in a side view with the 2D Tools.

My hope was that flattened DLVP's could function in enlarged detail development on Design Layers instead of needing to develop details linked to the model only in the Annotations layer of SLVP's.

Many improvements need to occur for this to happen, however.

See this previous thread and the links it contains.

https://techboard.vectorworks.net/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Main=40423&Number=200672#Post200672

Joe

So, what are the functional differences between section view ports drawn in the design layer vs. the sheet layer? I suppose what I'm trying to figure out is what the differences between the two are and when they should be applied. Sorry to come off as thick, but I don't understand when I would chose one over the other. Thanks for your patience.

Just wanted to add that I hope I'm being clear that where I'm confused is where I initially should be drawing the section line itself. Should I be drawing it on the design layer, or should I be drawing it on the View Port that is located on the sheet layer? For example, I have a floor plan that I develop in the design layer. I have always drawn the section line here and then have the resulting viewport placed on a sheet layer that I've designated for building sections. This same floor plan is also shown as a viewport on a sheet layer that I have set up for floor plans. I noticed that I can also draw section lines on this drawing and again have the resulting viewport set to show up on a sheet layer set up for my building sections. I think what I'm trying to figure out is if the origin of my viewports should be on the design layer or on the sheet layer showing the floor plan that I'm taking the section from? Again, this probably sounds really thick, but I'm having a hard time finding out if there's a benefit to doing it one way over the other.

Edited by MaltbyDesign