Continuous Trim

Andy Broomell

Question

I love the trim tool and use it all the time. To make it even more useful and efficient, it would be wonderful if the tool allowed you to press the mouse button down, drag the cursor across multiple object segments, then release the mouse button. It would erase all of the segments over which you dragged the cursor, in the same way it would if you individually clicked each one.

(Compare with the eraser tool in Sketchup which works along these lines.)

I'm not sure if this would need to be a separate mode or not. It seems to me that it would be simpler to not make it a mode since the functionality can be determined by either clicking individually or clicking and dragging. No need to click a different mode button to change how you want to use the tool.

Thanks!

5 answers to this question

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Thats for the Selection tool, in Trim you currently have to click on each individual item in order to trim it away to whatever the next intersecting object is.

If you could draw a line with the tool, or a freehand or poly, you could strike across a number of objects on one side of dividing geometry and rapidly trim them all away in a single stroke as opposed to tapping each one at a time.

Unless of course this is already possible and I simply never noticed, but testing it now it doesn't seem so.