Sign in to follow this  
Andy Broomell

Move Command: Duplicate

Question

I would like the Move command to have a checkbox to create a duplicate, resulting in the original object(s) staying where they are and a copy being moved per the coordinates.

I suppose this would also apply to the Move 3D command.

I know there are other ways to accomplish the same end result, but I often find myself wanting to use the Move command in this way. Currently I ctrl+click to create a duplicate and then move the duplicate; having a Create Duplicate option within the Move command would simplify the process.

Thanks!

9 answers to this question

Where would this checkbox reside ideally, since the Move command doesn't have a settings area like tools do?

Ahh, Duh. My brain was in a completely different place. (as usual on Fridays..)

Submitting request now!

I think this should be interactive with preview like for mirroring.

And have arrows for the duplicate value to increase or decrease.

Zoomer: I disagree with the complications. I use move because it is simple and direct. The check box is fine, or even a counter. But more gets in the way. The dialog would likely cover what I want to see.

I suggest that interactivity, arrows and previews be part of Move by Points, which is a graphical interactive tool.

Yes, that's what I meant.

I don't understand the difference between both though.

Hey guys, there are already (at least) two really good ways to do this: 1) Use the Duplicate Array command, or 2) Option Click to duplicate in place, then hit Command M to move. Not really sure why anything more is needed...

as well as that Peter, we have the Move by Points tool (which i like a lot). This tool can move and duplicate objects in 2D and 2D.