Two-Way Finish Schedule

Guest Wes Gardner

• 1 month later...

Hey Acip79

ive only just upgraded to vw2019 and haven’t tried the space tool finishes yet. I’m  dissapointed to hear that it’s still buggy. 

@JMR, if you have a moment can you outline how you set up your custom data tag finishes (still using the built in finishes)

im interested to know as I’ll be diving into finishes on vw2019 quite soon 

Edited by Boh
On 6/24/2019 at 11:58 AM, Boh said:

@JMR, if you have a moment can you outline how you set up your custom data tag finishes (still using the built in finishes)

im interested to know as I’ll be diving into finishes on vw2019 quite soon 

@Boh

Enclosed is a sample file. Please note I'm not using built-in finishes, instead custom data attached to space objects.

A custom record is given to all space objects, including all the necessary fields. I've added english translation to the worksheet column titles(Unfortunately no time to go through the whole thing and translate).

A customized space tag is used with the space objects: This tag includes text linked to the custom record fields. Eg. wall finishes, floor type etc. It is simply a 2D symbol.

(The custom record name is "tilaselostustieto" (room schedule data) in this file).

This setup allows two-way editing: It's easy to quickly copy-paste everything via the schedule. One might have to run the AEC command "update spaces" to see the changes though. Sometimes at least.

We use a separate housekeeping worksheet for quick comparison and editing, the "official" schedule stays always the same and is not edited, it just sits on the sheet layer.

The reason why we went with this system is that we often got confused and messed up the built-in finishes for some reason. In any case we have to put in custom finishes since the stock ones are in English of course.

HTH

Space object and schedule sample.vwx

Thanks JMR.

I've just had a quick look. Clever to use custom records on the space label symbols linked to classed text. I like how you can either show the finishes on the drawing (by switching on or off the appropriate classes) or just show finishes in a table style schedule. And I guess you can have a reference library of standard finishes to copy and paste into your schedule.

I'll give this some more thought as I delve further into VW2019.

Thanks again for sharing!

@JMR 

This is a good setting indeed. Instead of using 'Assign Room Finish' tab in default VWX setting for space, i can just key in manually via the attached record. I shall use this settings if the issue is not resolved in future updates.

Reason why i used the 'Assign Room Finish' option is i can control the information that needs to be key in because all the specs will be taken from a single file containing all specs needed. So it will all be standardised.

Good to have a optional settings.

Thanks,

😀

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/1/2019 at 4:43 PM, Acip79 said:

@JMR 

This is a good setting indeed. Instead of using 'Assign Room Finish' tab in default VWX setting for space, i can just key in manually via the attached record. I shall use this settings if the issue is not resolved in future updates.

Reason why i used the 'Assign Room Finish' option is i can control the information that needs to be key in because all the specs will be taken from a single file containing all specs needed. So it will all be standardised.

Good to have a optional settings.

Thanks,

😀

So I'm finally on vw2019 (sp3) and working with spaces and yes running into this issue where ceiling finish info is available from a database but not floor, wall or baseboard info. I have found though that the issue is only when trying to assign room finishes from a worksheet. It does work via the OIP when selecting a space object. Does this suggest it is a "worksheet" issue rather than a "space object" issue? See short vid.

Has anyone else got anymore wisdom to share on this? It is quite an important part of how we work.

I spent some time a year or so ago setting up custom room finishes I could access via two-way finishes worksheets and have used it succesfully (with a few workarounds) until now.

The beauty of the worksheet is that you can quickly do global editing and checking of room finishes. Having to select space objects and do it via the OIP is workable for small projects but will get really slow with larger projects with lots of rooms.

I would really like to keep using this system. I like how all the custom finishes can be held on a server and accessible for everybody and they are easy to edit and keep up to date. However if the two-way finish schedule can't be used then it will not be efficient to use on large projects.

I just finished doing a room finish schedule.

I found an easy way for me was to attach a record to the Room Name Tag.  That way I could control what fields I wanted and how to name them.   The best part it also works as a two way schedule,  so I can enter from the Object Info pallet or from the worksheet.

Also I noticed that I can use the eyedropper tool to paste record information from one room tag to another,  some if rooms have the same finishes I don't have to input the information again.

• Like 1

Thanks Tom.

Yes I can see how that works, I think similar to @JMR's method.

Do you have a central notes resource for all your finishes and then initially copy and paste from there into your worksheet or OIP? Or do you initally have to retype from scratch?

I'm interested in this part as the advantage of using the VW assign room finishes is that all the notes can be standardised across the office and accessible to everyone via the workgroup.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...