Custom Curb roadway tool

Patrick Fritsch

Question

Got excited a little too quick about this new site tool. It's missing the following to actually be useful, the current single rise input really makes this new tool feel half baked;

1. Send station to site surface (as per Nurbs roabway)

2. Align station vertically (as per Nurbs roadway)

3. When using the reshape tool you can create any shape, and therefore we should also be able to set each point elevation on a site model as there is not more "centerline" with odd shaped driveways.

4. All streets are not actually flat, there is usually a crown in the middle for drainage reasons. Therefore there should be at least 3 station centrelines (left edge, center of road & right edge) that we can control individually to create the crown we want.

5. Step up #4 a notch and allow any number station certerlines with controllable spacing and we could even include the culverts on either side.

• Like 3

5 answers to this question

Thought I should probably add a supporting image of what I mean by "odd shaped" driveways. Currently there is no way to easily smooth out this type of sloped irregular shaped driveway while controlling the runoff water direction, Currently I have to do it with the grade tool but as you see I would have to add so many small grading vectors to smooth things out properly.

I the world of large public projects I would have a civil eng do this BUT in my current residential/small commercial design business I have to take care of these details.

Hopefully this helps to put this new tool on the right track.

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee
Got excited a little too quick about this new site tool. It's missing the following to actually be useful, the current single rise input really makes this new tool feel half baked;

1. Send station to site surface (as per Nurbs roabway)

2. Align station vertically (as per Nurbs roadway)

3. When using the reshape tool you can create any shape, and therefore we should also be able to set each point elevation on a site model as there is not more "centerline" with odd shaped driveways.

4. All streets are not actually flat, there is usually a crown in the middle for drainage reasons. Therefore there should be at least 3 station centrelines (left edge, center of road & right edge) that we can control individually to create the crown we want.

5. Step up #4 a notch and allow any number station certerlines with controllable spacing and we could even include the culverts on either side.

Submitting request now.

Using a Custom curb at junction only and a Nurb road for the rest got me closer but the Custom curb slope control limitations still make the junction messy and amateur'ish. I feel there should be a join tool for the Nurbs Roads to do intersections just like the wall tool, then in 3D we can adjust the Z height of the stations.

Custom curb at junction only.PNG

Edited by Patrick Fritsch
  • Like 2