Pattern Shading issues

Hello all, this is my first post so bare with me if i am not posting in the correct area and the problem i am having is kinda of a crazy one.

I am doing a revision to a basic 2D drawing. I need to show segregated areas with different patterns and shades (I am working mostly in black and white and everything in between that shade spectrum), however I am having this problem where the class I am trying to change the shade of gray to a lighter one, it will not allow me, it just changes it to white, I am also unable to change it to any other color, it just leaves it at white. i am hoewever able to change it to one gray shade but going into patter style and selecting the solid gray box.

In another area I am trying to change the pattern shade to a black horizontal line pattern, it will not change it and it keeps it at a light gray shade, ithat one also does not allow me to change it to any other color either, just that one light shade of gray.

I have checked all settings for the classes in the design area and I have checked everything in the paper space area. I am at a lost for as to why the program is just refusing to co-operate with me to change these shades.

I am using Vectorworks Fundamental 2015 for Mac. Please let me know what other information might be needed for you guys to give me some assistance.

No, that option is not selected.

I only use one template file for this companies site drawings and the document settings are never adjusted. The thing is they are allowing me to select Gray as a color, in fact it will not allow me to select any color within the solid class style for fill. I actually had to go through the pattern fill option and select a solid fill style from there. It is currently set as blue, but it shows up as gray.

it is really strange.

• 3 weeks later...

I updated the premissions

also, I actually found another issue with these patterns. i am trying to set up some patterns from the class menu in the paperspace/viewport area. After I set them up and click preview, it just changes the entire class boundary area into a solid teal color. I am unable to change the pattern or the color.

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

These objects are extremely far off the document's origin.

In a test copy of this file, if you enable visibility and selectability for everything on the design layers, move everything back to 0,0, then attempt to make a few new test viewports (the existing viewports will no longer be pointed at the right place) tell me if the same thing occurs. Check the fills as well and let me know if they behave differently.

• 4 weeks later...

I looked into it and it still does not fix the actual issue. I mean, regardless of something being on the point of origin or 30,000 ft away from it, why would that cause a class to only render in one specific color only.

Edited by Kting
  • 4 weeks later...

So there is no actual solution for this problem? because I am still having this issue with a completely different drawing. I am able to edit the class for one but not able to edit the class for another in the same drawing.

Essentially, I am unable to changes its pattern, color or linetype for one class, but for another class I am able to change everything no problem.

Class "A" seems to be stuck on just one pattern and color

Class "B" I am only able to edit the Pattern, but the color stays black no matter what I select

Class "C" I am able to edit everything in this one

After looking over all the options and compare the three, they are all exactly the same options. They have the "By Class Style" option selected for the Fill & Pen.

Well never-mind, I figured what the issue was and to be honest it seems like a over sight on the development team here.

OK, so essentially the main issue I was having was that I was unable to change the color within the viewport class edit menu. No matter what I was doing it would stay the same shade of gray.

Now with the fact that I have "By Class" selected for everything within the attributes, it should change to whatever the class edit options are set to for that class. This caused so much frustration and confusion; it was driving me insane. Until I decided to manually change the color and pattern for each individual item independently did i figure out what the issue was.

So if within the attributes, under the "Pattern" dialogue options, If the color is not set to "By Class" it will trump any other option, Even if you switch it over to “by class” in model space then within the viewport edit class option to change the color or pattern, it will not register because the selected options under “pattern” has been locked and will override any viewport class edit selections, even if you have selected “By Class”. This seems to be very counter-productive as changing one setting should negate the other. Not have one that has over power rule over one option regardless of it being used or not.

I hope this helps anyone else in the future that comes across this issue, as it has been eating away at my productivity for close to 3 months now!

Kting, I am not certain but I think you might have missed an important feature: Viewport Class Overrides. Check it out in VW's Help.

http://app-help.vectorworks.net/2015/NNA/eng/VW2015_Guide/Viewports/Changing_the_Class_Properties_of_Sheet_Layer_or_Design_Layer.htm?rhsearch=Viewport%20Class%20Overrides&rhsyns=%20

One very important fact seems to be absent from the Help (above): that is, Overrides will only work if 'Use At Creation' is checked/selected in the root Class Setup.

While I understand your frustration, and while I further understand that Attributes "by Class" is a complicated topic, The fact that no one responded here tells me that a) it was very difficult to understand your posts/questions/etc., and b) most others have the whole Class and Attributes by Class and VP Class Overrides thing figured out...

I am well aware of the Viewport properties. It is the fact that in the drawing space, if you do not have the color option under the "Pattern" Dialogue box changed as "by Class" then whatever color is selected will that priority over any other color setting you try to dictate in the viewport properties.

Give it a try. create a box in the model space, select it and in the attributes select the "Pattern" tab and select a color and pattern. after you have done that, change the "Pattern" tab to "By Class"

Now go to your paper space/viewport and under the class setting select either solid or pattern and try to change the color of that object you just created.

Even though you have changed the class settings of the object in the model space to "By Class" the colors that you selected under "Pattern" are locked to the object and will not be able to be change. within the viewport class properties at all. This was my issue, and when I went to check the object has "By Class" why would I think twice to look in the "Pattern" tab when that option was not selected.

Just give my instructions a shot, this isn't a problem of me not understand the program, this is an issue of I found a bug!

I just did a test and I would bet if you file this as a bug it will come back as "Working as Designed". I don't necessarily think the design is correct and perhaps you want to submit a feature request to change the way it works.

Object 1 - Set in Attributes Palette (AP) for Fill to Use Class Style

Object 2 - Set in AP for fill to a fixed pattern with the Fore and Back colors set to Use Class Color

Object 3 - Set in AP for fill to a fixed pattern with the For and Back colors set to fixed colors.

In a viewport when I use the Class Overrides I get the following:

Object 1 - Will take both pattern and colors from the Edit Class(es) dialog box.

Object 2 - Will take the colors from the Edit Class(es) dialog box.

Object 3 - Will not take pattern or colors from the Edit Class(es) dialog box

This seems completely logical to me, but maybe I am missing something.

As I read your post of 9:29AM (three above), you say you have everything in the Attributes Palette set to By Class, but then later you say you don't have the Pattern colors set by class. Which is it? The Viewport overrides can not effect anything that is not set to By Class (or Use Class Color) in the Attributes Palette.

I also just checked the command under the disclosure triangle at the bottom of the Attributes Palette. If you use the Make All Attributes By Class, it sets everything, including the pattern colors set to use by class.

Based on the terminology you are using (model space instead of design layer), it appears you are coming to VW from another program. Are you seeing something that is just different from what you are used to?

If I am missing something, please try and give us a better description of what you are seeing. Maybe make a simple file that shows the problem and upload it here for us to look at. If there is a bug we want to get it reported and fixed, but we don't seem to be seeing the same things.