SHEET LAYER VIEWPORTS: NOT holding CLASS/LAYER visibilities....

C10916

After much frustration I am seeking advise...I am tormented by this happening (yes, yes I know its just been Halloween and all that).

For a while now I have noticed that when I go into a VW drawing file that sheet layer viewports often DO NOT HOLD their class/layer visibilities.

I have attached 2 examples of where I have completed a sheet layer, exported to pdf and filed away on my computer.

Then in the next weeks/months often I go back to the drawing I created in VW sheet layer and it does not look quite the same. I have in no way or wanted to alter the visibilities of the viewport as it was defined back in March.

Then I check out the pdf I created (in March) and yes indeed the viewport now has other class/layer visibilities changed.

Frustrated VW user, in the rain, in England.....Help pls!

Having just spoken to a colleague on the phone about this problem and they said the following, is this correct?

All new classes and layers created since a sheet layer viewport is initially created are AUTOMATICALLY added to ALL existing VIEWPORTS with a setting of VISIBLE as default?

If this is so, then that might explain why the additional information was found in the viewport. As since March I have been in the file and added additional information on new classes and layers.

MY CONCERN is that when I set a VIEWPORTS' Class and Layer visibilities that they stay with the Viewport until 'I' change them, or is that a 'dippy' thing to think?

Thanks everso!

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

They should not change by themselves no. I have not seen this before unless the file was rolled back to a backup or else in the case of saved views rather than viewports.

All new classes and layers created since a sheet layer viewport is initially created are AUTOMATICALLY added to ALL existing VIEWPORTS with a setting of VISIBLE as default?

Actually the opposite is true. If you create a drawing with classes A, B and C, then create a viewport, if you add objects to the file in a class D, only A B and C will be shown in the previously created viewport.

If you were to make a new viewport after the new class was created and objects added to it, you would see objects from A, B, C and D.

Edited by JimW

Hi Jim, I have just added two new classes A and B.

Along side my drawing I created a box in class A and another in Class B.

Went back to my viewport, expanded the crop to accommodate for the two boxes. They are not there! (YES)...

Now I got into OIP for the viewport and click on CLASSES and the new classes A, B are invisible. (SORTED)!

But that still don't explain why my file was different from March to now....

You mentioned Saved views, which I don't tend to use much... colleague did tell me to create a saved view just before I export to pdf, then when I go back into VW I can get the saved view back if classes/layers have changed. Seems a bit of a faff surely to secure what you are just about to pdf.

As we say in the UK, "someone is pulling my vw plonker". What's going on Jim, what am I to do.

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

If you can get it to happen again, let me know. I don't know of a reason that it would switch (it shouldn't), but unless we can narrow down a repeatable set of steps that causes it, I won't be able to submit it and get it fixed if it is something in the application itself.

I knew you were going to say that! :o)

VSS team said the same.

Very difficult to replicate, until I find it. Then I have to have a little movie of it to send in.

At least now I have confirmation of what SHOULD happen.

Thanks Jim.

ANYONE ELSE FINDING THE SAME PROBLEM in their VW?

• 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

"there is a pulldown list in the New Layer and New Class Creation dialog that asks whether the newly created Layer or Class will be Visible or Invisible"

Peter, My dialogue boxes are not selectable, shows always invisible.

How can I change it??

Thanks